Linksys VoIP boxes NOT tied to a particular provider?

If you look in the Linksys pages, you will find that they only offer two devices which combine NAT routing and SIP telephony, for domestic use:

formatting link

1) PAP2: This seems to be a Sipura (now Linksys). In the manual they refer exclusively to Vonage. In my experience the Sipura boxes don't have the capacity to drive a LAN, as their NAT capabilities are lacking and the most you can connect to them is ONE PC (in the PC port). Sometimes not even one connected PC will work, because as soon as you connect it, the audio will become impossible to understand.

2) RT41P2-AT: This is a much more capable device, combining the NAT abilities of a Linksys product with the SIP abilities of a Sipura. Looks like it should fill my needs. EXCEPT that this product only works in conjunction with the AT&T CallVantage service.

So, it looks like the folks at Sipura/Linksys/Cisco believe that if you want to experience IP telephony from your home, you have to sign with AT&T.

Isn't there a RT41P2-NA??

-Ramon F Herrera

Technical note: I have assembled a SIP network with about a dozen ATAs in 4 countries, and have seen all kinds of NATs, etc.

Reply to
Ramon F Herrera
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Well I hope the RT41P2 is better implemented than the RT31P2.

I had nothing but grief with that box whenever the LAN/WAN ports were heavily loaded (hanging & self-rebooting). I suspect a very badly implemented NAT which can't handle a large number of connections.

I finally convinced Vonage to swap it out for an RTP-300 which is more stable under heavy load but doesn't seem to implement any QoS/priority for the voice stream. Under heavy load you can't even originate or receive a call and although the RTP-300 doesn't crash or hang, you can forget about making/receiving phone calls while running a bit-torrent for example.

Overall I'm very disappointed with the Linksys products I've tried, they are certainly not what I've come to expect from a product with the name Cisco on the box.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Young
[Norm Young:]

Well, you have to keep in mind that the NAT devices we are talking about are designed for *domestic* networks, with only a handful PCs. If I am connecting an office, I would use a real Cisco router.

-Ramon

Reply to
Ramon F Herrera

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.