extending cable internet

My neighbor has cable internet service. The local cable company will run 320 feet which puts it on my property but it is still another 400 to 500 feet to my home. How can I extend the cable to my home? I can't get DSL and satellite would involve cutting a lot of trees and only provides 1mb service. Is it possible? I've tried talking to the cable company (no luck) and have searched the net with no luck. I can set up a shed with AC power at the point where the cable company will run to. I am willing to spend a considerable amount as all I have is dialup and I really need high speed for both personal and business reasons. Can I extend the cable and use some type repeater? I can get 16mb service fromt he cable company so I can stand some degradation is speed. Please, any help appreciated. Jim in rural Alabama

Reply to
jmbamboo
Loading thread data ...

I would think you would either just pay the CableCo what they charge to run the last 4-500' or you could make the run yourself. You could trench the distance and lay some PVC and snake a rope inside it in preparation for the cable and they might run the 500' for free if you had it all ready for them to pull through - the cable doesn't cost all that much itself if they won't pay for it and PVC isn't too expensive. The digging would be the big part unless you're on a farm and already have the equipment to do it.

Above ground (I wouldn't recommend) you could follow whatever you already have running above ground (electrical ?) using the same poles, etc.

Reply to
$Bill

FWIW, the drop bury I've seen done in two different subdivisions here used a team of 3 guys with landscape shovels hand digging a a tiny sliver trench and direct burying the cable. Comcast contractors... who arrived in a beat up 4 door sedan, no uniforms, no identification, and didn't speak english very well, heading to my backyard with shovels.

Equipment and PVC... heh... well, not so much.

For a run that long, you'l absolutely want to use the lowest loss cable you could afford. But you may not have the choice--providing your own cable and such might only invite them to say they can't afford to support that which they didn't isntall. You might be stuck with paying them for extending things farther.

If you wanted to be inventive, and are friendly with the neighbor, a piont to point wifi network between your house and his might be a good way to go. Or running cable to his house. Probably breaking the terms of service from the cable company, but you DID try to pay for service from them and they turned you down. But... technically feasible certainly.

Reply to
Todd H.

Well, around here it is run in PVC and we have all underground utilities. PVC is cheap and makes it a lot easier to upgrade the cable (which they did recently to probably new RG6 [no graphics on it]).

Reply to
$Bill

You said you could run power / build a shed at the drop.

You can setup a point to point wifi bridge from the drop to your house.

I am not current on all the brands ... but if you can find a wireless router, that will accept a wifi access point as a client, and then setup the wifi access point in your house connected to a hub/switch. Maybe two routers where one can be set as a client?

I had it setup where I had a normal old style Linksys router, connected to a Linksys WAP11 access point in one building, and a Linksys WAP11 access point connected to a 8 port Linksys switch in another building ... which connected the two buildings wirelessly, and all worked liked a champ!

As a matter of fact I still have the "kit" (The befsr11 router, the two wap11's) .... for sale if interested (if you don't mind old 802.11B technology)

formatting link

Reply to
riggor9999

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.