Linksys NSLU2 & new firmware

Firmware upgrade did not affect the data ... my drives were originally formatted using the built in formatting program ... EXT3

Reply to
riggor99999
Loading thread data ...

Has anyone updated the firemware on the NSLU2 to the 2.3R63? This supports fat32 on both ports. What happens to your drives when you do this upgrade? Do you loose all your files/info during the conversion??

Reply to
gene martinez

Does the firmware allow you to switch to fat32? Do you need to reformat and loose all dat if you want to switch?

Thanks

Reply to
gene martinez

Reply to
gene martinez

If you want to use FAT32, the drives need to be formatted FAT32 prior to connecting them to the NSLU2.

The built in format utility only formats them to EXT3. There is no conversion utility from EXT32 to FAT32.

Reply to
riggor99999

You cannot switch without reformatting and losing your data.

They must be formatted FAT32 prior to connecting them to the NSLU2.

The NSLU2 only formats EXT3 - but supports FAT32 if the drives were pre-formatted.

Reply to
riggor99999

Reply to
gene martinez

Yes, but you will have to connect it to a pc, format it FAT32, then connect it back to the NSLU2.

Reply to
riggor99999

I'm waiting for my NSLU2 & USB hard drive to arrive. I was hoping to have the drive set up as FAT32, so I can plug it straight into my laptop when I'm away from the network. From what I've seen here I should format it directly from my laptop first, then attach it to the NSLU2. However, I'm not clear whether I need to upgrade the NSLU2 firmware first. My impression is that the old firmware recognises FAT32 & NTFS, but can't format them, but the new firmware can format a new drive as FAT32 or NTFS. Is this correct?

Reply to
Simon

Here's a follow-up question. As you may realise, I'm not that familiar with the pros and cons of the different partition types. I could do with some advice with my new setup.

I currently have a home laptop (running XP Pro, 2 disk partitions, both FAT32). I also have a laptop at work (XP Pro, single partition, NTFS). I want to hang a couple of drives off my NSLU2. One will be for storing my music and pictures, the other for backups. I'd like to be able to take the music/pictures drive with the laptop away from the network occasionally. I've heard that you can setup the NSLU2 to allow access to the drives over the internet. I'd like to try this, so that I could access a network drive remotely (either just me at another location, or letting family & friends have access to my photos) I have heard of people using the NSLU2 to stream music to wireless music servers without the need for a PC in the loop.

Well, these are the things I'd like to try. Any advice for how I initially setup my NSLU2 (i.e. should I format my new disks to NTFS or FAT32 and should I update the firmware to the latest Linksys version as soon as I start?) and any good suggestions for where to get good advice for trying out these ideas?

Thanks

Simon

Reply to
Simon

Thanks, in that case I'll load the new firmware asap. Can you set up the NSLU2 out of the box and upgrade the firmware before hanging any drives off it?

Reply to
Simon

I have a 3com ADSL modem/router. I'll be plugging my NSLU2 into this

Reply to
Simon

Product Info -

formatting link

Downloads Page -

formatting link
Firmware Release Notes for NSLU2 -

8/18/2005 Linksys -A division of Cisco Systems, Inc. ************************************** V2.3R63 (7/06/2005)
  1. FAT32/NTFS support on Port 2 and FAT32/EXT3 support on port 1

V23R61 (05/31/05) Change List :

1. FAT32/NTFS support on port 2 and FAT32 support on port 1

V23R60 (05/27/05) Change List Support FAT HDD and FLASH in USB Port 1

V23R59 (04/14/20005) Fix bug that cannot copy large zip file into FAT HDD.

V23R58 (04/13/20005)

1. Remove Media Functions
  2. Fix bug that cannot delete groups sometimes.
  3. Upgrade samba to be 3.0.11

V23R57 (04/04/20005)

1. Support NTFS
  2. Support iTunes, UpnP AV and MP3 BroadCast.
  3. Fix bug that cannot copy large zip file into FAT HDD

V23R55 (02/16/20005)

1. Remove NTFS support.

V23R54 (02/05/20005)

1. Support card pull and plug in Card Reader.
  2. Update NTFS driver.

V23R53 (12/06/20004)

1. Fix bug that USB port2 status in status page is wrong sometimes if one HDD exists in port2 but it is not valid.
  2. Fix bug that display of home page is not normal.
  3. Fix bug that prepare status are wrong during scandisk in disk page.
  4. Fix bug that send response packet wrongly after ejecting flashes.

Firmware version 2.3 Release 31

1.) Fixed password field length issue. You must reset your password after you upgrade your NSLU2.

Firmware version 2.3 Release 29

1.) Improved the compatibility for the following 4 USB enclosures.

1) Y-252 Usb 2.0 casing

2) Hotec Usb 2.0 casing 3) Sarotech cutie Usb 2.0 casing 4) Spio Usb 2.0 casing

Firmware Version 2.3 Release 25

1.) Fixed the Internal Clock bug that caused the NSLU2 to lose time by minutes per day

Firmware Version 2.3 Release 24

1.) Corrected the Time Stamp bug found in original firmware 2.3R21.
Reply to
riggor99999

correct - the built in formatting utility only formats it Linux EXT3

Reply to
riggor99999

Thanks for your help Gene. I'll report back in a few days when I plug everything in.

SImon

Reply to
Simon

From what I've read and been told is no. The new firmware can READ Fat32 or NTSF but you must format them before you connect them to the NSLU2.

Reply to
gene martinez

Yes this can be done, I have mine setup so I can access from the internet. You need to know how your network is connected to the internet. Cable??? DSL??? I'm cable and have a Linksys router connected to the cable modem. You have to open up ports on the Linksys and forward it to the ip address of the NSLU2, then you will be able to access from all over the world... You point your browser to the Wan ip address and us port 8082 (default, you can change this) so it would be xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8082

Check the firmware on the NSLU2 and see what shipped. The latest is

2.3Release63
Reply to
gene martinez

Can you access the 3com and see how to forward ports?? Then forward port 8082 (default unless you change it) to the ip address of your NSLU2. You then can access it from the internet... To test it just point your browser to your wan ip address:8082 and you should be able to see it...

Reply to
gene martinez

I would think so, I haven't done it yet... I have a 250 & 100 gig hanfing off the NSLU2 and need to find a way to copy/save the info on the 250 and then reformat...

Reply to
gene martinez

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.