IS RIP NEEDED

I'm trying to figure out if the rip protocol is needed in a Router Private Line configuration. At one point in time, there were netware servers running at each end of this Private Line. These netware servers have since been removed and now it's only an IP network. At one end of the Private line is a Cisco 2600 Router. At the other, a Cisco 1700. In the configuration of each router, there is are the following lines....

router eigrp 1 redistribute rip network 10.0.0.0 ! router rip redistribute eigrp 1 network 10.0.0.0 ! I guess my question is, do I still need to use RIP as a routing protocol, and just use EIGRP? We're not using IPX as a protocol anywhere on our network, so is it really needed.

Thanks in advance...

Reply to
displays
Loading thread data ...

Not sure we can answer this without more information. Does EIGRP run on both ends of this as well as RIP? If so, yes you could probably get rid of RIP and not lose connectivity. However, where else does RIP go? Is there any chance that something downstream only has RIP and therefore taking out this router will prevent one of those RIP networks from getting to these devices? If so, perhaps redistribution is your answer instead of keeping RIP and EIGRP everywhere. The bottom line is that you need to understand everywhere that RIP and EIGRP are, especially places where only one may exist without the other. Additionally you need to understand what networks/nodes/ environments talk to other networks/nodes/environments, and ensure that disabling a routing protocol is not going to impact one of those flows. At its most basic terms, all-inclusive and fully-meshed EIGRP should be fine if this is a LAN network, but again, more information is needed.

Reply to
Trendkill

Both routers on the ends of the Private Line T1 are running RIP. The confiuratation looks like this...

Remote Office ----> Cisco 1750 ------> Private Line T1 ------> Cisco

2611 ----> Corporate Office -> Pix 515 ---- > Cisco 2620 ---->

Internet

The Cisco 2620 that is connected to the Internet does not have RIP specified in it's config. The office that is connected to the Cisco

1750 communicates with the Corporate Office as well as gets to the internet via the Private Line T1.

Not sure if this is enough information or is more needed.

Reply to
displays

Reply to
Merv
  1. Are there only 2 routers involved ?

1. post output of "show ip route rip" and "show ip proto" from both routers

Reply to
Merv

If it is one connection, with no backup method (dial-up, cable, etc), then you could technically ditch this for static routes and be fine. However, I don't recommend static configs at all except for DMZs and other requirements, therefore RIP or EIGRP all the way through should be fine. Your basic requirements are that the 1700 advertise its networks to the HQ, and the HQ advertises a default route. Other than that, I don't see any gotchas.

Reply to
Trendkill

either way, you cannot just ditch RIP and not replace it with something. Statics on both sides, a routing protocol on both sides, etc. Provided the remote has a default route, it would know how to get out, but the HQ would not know how to get back without some kind of static or advertisement.

Reply to
Trendkill

Well I think that I'm just gonna leave it the way it is. I was trying to streamline the configuration, but I have bigger issues to tackle, like Dial on Demand VPN connection using Verizon DSL connection to a Pix Firewall.

Thank again.

Reply to
displays

Is is not as difficult as it may seem.

post your configs without passwords. along without the output of

show ip proto

show ip route

show ip traffic

from both routers

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.