RIP question

Is it true that on a network running RIP, we need to have RIP running on links between a router and a switch--meaning it needs to be configured on a router's ethernet/fastethernet interface?

Reply to
HEY!
Loading thread data ...

Is it true that on a network running RIP, we need to have RIP running on links between a router and a switch--meaning it needs to be configured on a router's ethernet/fastethernet interface?

Reply to
HEY!

RIP is OSI Layer3 and a switch is OSI Layer2. In other words, no, you don't "run" RIP between a router and a switch.

Reply to
Dude

Why would you run an Routing Protocol on a switch?

"HEY!" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
CCNA Nerd

It's from a CertSim simulation. Here's the proper config:

RouterA: e0: x.x.10.1 (e0 connected to SwitchA) s0: x.x.20.1 (s0 connected to RouterB's s0) config shows rip running on x.x.10.0 and x.x.20.0

RouterB: e0: x.x.30.1 (e0 connected to SwitchB) s0: x.x.20.2 (s0 connected RouterA's s0) config shows rip running on x.x.20.0 and x.x.30.0

Reply to
HEY!

Sorry, maybe I didn't phrase the intial question correctly.

Reply to
HEY!

Rip is running on the routers, not the switch. Notice that there is no switch configuration. RouterA is advertising x.x.10.0 and x.x.20.0; RouterB is advertising x.x.20.0 and x.x.30.0. They are talking to one another through their s0 interfaces which are on a common network (x.x.20.0).

Doan

Reply to
Doan

Ah, I see. Putting the graphic and the config together got me confused. I understand now. Thank you!

Doan wrote:

Reply to
HEY!

Reply to
news_user

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.