IP over PPP

Hello and thank you for helping us all people!

I have this architecture: Net1 - Router 1 E1 --------------------- E1 Router 2 - Net 2

I am currently using PPP over E1 to bridge Net 1 and Net 2. However I want to remove any overhead contained in the PPP payload. to be exact, I want to remove the Ethernet headers and only leave the IP headers that I carry.

Have you heard of a way to remove bridge/route on layer 3 so no Ethernet headers exists in the PPP payload? Thank you!

Reply to
dellover
Loading thread data ...

Hello snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com,

If you route the traffic all ethernet specific stuff is dropped. When you bridge two LAN's the overhead needs to be intact.

Reply to
Helge Olav Helgesen

Thank you for your reply Helge. I am not happy about this, but it was nice to know the truth. :-)

Net1 - Router 1 E1 --------------------- E1 Router 2 - Router 3 What I am still trying is to route traffic from Router 3 to Router 2 without Ethernet frames. Router 2 acts as a transparent L2 bridge. I may try a point to point link between Router 2 and Router 3.

Reply to
dellover

So what is the bottom-line issue that you are trying to address ?

Is it bandwidth consumption, latency ... ?

Reply to
Merv

Yes, you are right. :-) The problem is the bandwidth consumption.

By the way, if somebody is wondering how to achieve L2 bridging, here is how: Interface ethernet 0 bridge-group 1

Interface ethernet 1 bridge-group 1

bridge 1 protocol ieee

Of course, you can use serial interfaces or so, instead of ethernet.

Thank you all for reading, del_lover

Reply to
trevkosupport

see Cisco docs

WAN Compression FAQs

formatting link

Understanding Data Compression

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

Nice hint thank you! I am not sure if I am gonna use it, but it is nice anyway.

Reply to
dellover

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.