Can VRRP do this?

Customer has two sites each with a DSL circuit into an 877. The two sites are linked with a bridged wireless bridge; all hosts on site A use A's router as the default gateway and vice versa. Each site's connection to the internet is NATed by the relevant Cisco.

(Internet)----[877 A] [877 B]----(Internet) | | --------

The customer would like to achieve a measure of redundancy by getting outbound internet traffic to fail over to the other site's DSL circuit in case of link failure or routing issues at the relevant ISP. I was thinking of using VRRP for this, however, can this be done in such a way that outbound internet traffic only traverses the wireless bridge when one of the DSL circuits has failed?

Reply to
alexd
Loading thread data ...

As long as the customer is OK with an active/standby (both sites now need to use one connection) internet connection it's definately do-able as long the bridges are not going in to a layer3 switch i.e. the bridges are not on their own VLAN and both 877's are on the same LAN subnet. If you want inbound failover as well you will need to use a service such as dnsmadeeasy.com that will monitor the primary and dynamically update the DNS in the event of a failure.

Reply to
Brian V

No, he's not. He doesn't want internet traffic traversing the bridge unless one of the DSL circuits has failed [having said that, his internet connection is a fraction of the speed of the wireless link, so I don't know why he's worrying about it].

Having thought about it a bit more, I'm wondering if perhaps using Object Tracking to shuffle default routes might be a better idea, ie once router 'A' discovers it can't get to the internet via Dialer0, change its default gateway to 'B'.

Yes, they're both on the same subnet. No VLANs or anything clever like that.

The only inbound service is SMTP mail, I reckon judicious use of different MX priorities should handle that.

Reply to
alexd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.