ip local pool question

Hi,

I have two PIX firewalls: a 501 and a 515 that I am trying to issue the following command:

ip local pool PoolName 10.x.x.1-10.x.x.254 mask 255.255.255.0

The problem is the 501 doesn't won't take the "mask 255.255.255.0", so it resorts to the default 255.0.0.0. Can anyone shed any light on why this is and how I can get the class C subnet that I require?

The 501 is running PIX Version 6.3(3)

thanks

Reply to
google
Loading thread data ...

You might be running into a different issue. On the 501, the DHCP pool size is limited to:

- 32 if you have the 10 user license

- 128 if you have the 50 user license

- 253 if you have the unlimited license

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I believe your problem is that the PIX501 will not handle more that 32 IP's in a range. So the mas kdoesnt really matter, as its for VPN client use only.

The cmd ref says (pixos 6.3.4): [mask ] Add an optional netmask. If the netmask is configured then the PIX Firewall headend will return it to the VPN client.

If the netmask is not configured, PIX Firewall will retain backward compatibility

with its previous behavior by not returning the netmask. If netmask is not

configured, the PIX Firewall will use netmask 255.255.255.0.

This is though rather strange, as somepart meantion the word netmask, but the syntax uses the word mask ...

Try not to give the mask at all...

HTH

Martin Bilgrav

Reply to
Martin Bilgrav

That's for the 10 user license. See my posting in this thread for the other licenses.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Thanks for your input. Maybe I'm not understanding you, but my issue is the subnet mask being assigned to the remote VPN clients, not the number of people who can connect. The issue of the subnet mask is important, since remote clients are being assigned 255.0.0.0 (my guess is that's because we're using a 10. private block). The result is the VPN clients can't access any remote subnets in our organization because the client views them all as local, due to the mask.

You mention that previous behavior is the PIX issuing a Class C subnet, but this is not what we are seeing.

Reply to
google

Have you tried the command with out the mask option? When the mask option is not configured the PIX *should* send the client the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

Reply to
bdyy

It currently does not have the "mask" option (won't take the mask option as a matter of fact) ... and issues a 255.0.0.0 subnet

Reply to
google

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.