IP, Ethernet, ATM and DHCP

Hi there

I've got a setup where my core network is based on ATM and some of my distribution network is based on Ethernet. The setup is shown below:

- means ethernet = means ATM

dhcp -- router == ATM -- ethernet || ATM -- ethernet

My setup requires a common VLAN id on the whole (ethernet) network.

In order to connect the two ethernet segments and the router (which works as the default gateway for all users connected to the ethernet segments), all PVCs and ethernet subinterfaces are bridged together using the bridge command.

Equipment is:

router: 7204vxr ATM: Catalyst 8510 MSR with ARM and FastEthernet ports. ethernet: Catalyst 2950 EMI switches. dhcp: ISC DHCPd

The problem is when I run DHCP on the network, it seems like I'm unable to obtain IP addresses from a central DHCP server.

In order to find out, whats going on, I've started sniffing on the network with a analyzer (ethereal) and it looks like not all requests enters the DHCP server and not all DHCPoffers are returned to the client.

How do I create a bridged network, that works as expected?

Hope someone has a good answer.

Cheers, Lars Christensen

Reply to
Lars L. Christensen
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.