Transitioning away from ATM

We have 3 or 4 older sites that connect back to our central site using ATM = over 2 T1s. This connection is for both voice and data. Equipment is a 3640= router and 8510 switch. These are our last sites on ATM, and we'd like to = move them away from ATM as soon as we can.

Looking at the Cisco documentation, it looks like we could use 3925s at the= central site and at each of the remote locations, with VWIC3 cards (we're = using VWIC first generation cards now in the 3640s), and use the drop and i= nsert capability to handle voice and data. I had done some setups like this= at a previous job... it's been a couple of years, but hopefully I still go= t the concept. If I've got this correct, what do we need for the connection= to the phone system?

Reply to
pfisterfarm
Loading thread data ...

M over 2 T1s. This connection is for both voice and data. Equipment is a 36=

40 router and 8510 switch. These are our last sites on ATM, and we'd like t= o move them away from ATM as soon as we can.

he central site and at each of the remote locations, with VWIC3 cards (we'r= e using VWIC first generation cards now in the 3640s), and use the drop and= insert capability to handle voice and data. I had done some setups like th= is at a previous job... it's been a couple of years, but hopefully I still = got the concept. If I've got this correct, what do we need for the connecti= on to the phone system?

Hmmm, I d> We have 3 or 4 older sites that connect back to our central site using AT=

40 router and 8510 switch. These are our last sites on ATM, and we'd like t= o move them away from ATM as soon as we can.

he central site and at each of the remote locations, with VWIC3 cards (we'r= e using VWIC first generation cards now in the 3640s), and use the drop and= insert capability to handle voice and data. I had done some setups like th= is at a previous job... it's been a couple of years, but hopefully I still = got the concept. If I've got this correct, what do we need for the connecti= on to the phone system?

I haven't used T1, as we only have E's in ZA (E1 etc), but here you would r= equire a Channelised E1 to achieve what you are doing for the data. Mixing = both should be attainable, and being a VWIC card I would imagine you could = use the card for Voice too. Just, not 100% of the setup. Probably not that = helpful in hindsight. You can always try the forums. Either Cisco Forums th= emselves, or #cisco on freenode. Good luck. :)

Reply to
Richard Westby-Nunn

MMmmm. 8510 switch. That brings back memories..

The docs say the VWIC3 all support DI with any number of tdm-groups as you need. You'd take your inputs from your leaf sites and do whatever feeding of the phone system all with VWIC3 ports. Thus if you have say

8 T1 ports used on your 8510 switch, you'd need 8 ports of VWIC3 T1s of whatever density you want (ie. 1, 2 or 4 port VWIC3 cards).

Then setup the tdm-groups to xconn your DS0s from whichever T1 to whichever T1 as you need setup.

If you need to do PRI switching, then you'd need something else than the 3925 (or Cisco really, more like an Adtran Atlas), but doing DS0s and tdm-group DI switching should be totally doable with the VWIC3 cards and the cisco platform.

At your leaf sites, you'd again break out things with VWIC3 ports, one or two in, one or two out to the local phone system. Configure your channel-groups for your data access. Configure your tdm-groups for your voice DS0s.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thanks to everyone for their replies to my thread. It will definitely help.= If we didn't go with the drop and insert idea, what would be your recommen= dation for routers, both central and remote site, to use 2 point-to-point T=

1s per site and have the routers do all of the VOIP? It would probably be a= bout 800k for voice and the rest data.
Reply to
pfisterfarm

In many ways, Drop & Insert are easier to engineer and implement.

The same class of routers you already asked about would be useful for VoIP as well. Any of the ISR G2s (ie. 19xx/29xx/39xx) depending on port density required.

If you need to feed phone systems, you'll still the VWIC T1 cards to interface one for each T1 port you have. You need to make sure you have enough DSP timeslots bundled in (most likely the base amounts will be fine for your VoIP needs).

VoIP brings in QoS needs and the like as well to reserve the bandwidth needed instead of carving up T1s into port groups and tdm-groups.

Where VoIP can help you though in a scenario where you are aren't dragging T1s long distance just to have voice-channels. You can use whatever reasonable IP service is available at that site as long as it is stable enough and has enough bandwidth.

On the internal facing side to the phone systems, everything is the same as the D&I setup.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.