I get a valid IP from bridged DHCP router, but nothing else

Here is the puzzle of puzzles. How come that you can't ping a DHCP server that provided you with an IP?

Desktop PC

---------- Adapters: DSL / DHCP / NAT router, connected by USB Ethernet card, connected to six other systems by BNC Gigabit ethernet card, connected to Laptop by UTP crossover Wireless 3COM USB adapter, adhockly connected to Laptop

All four adapters are bridged by a software bridge and they work fine, except for the wireless connection.

When not bridged, the wireless connection works fine. The laptop can browse shares etc.

When bridged, the wireless connection and ONLY the wireless connection is:

1) ABLE to get a valid IP from the DHCP server (reports valid numbers on ipconfig)...

2) ...yet UNable to do anything else (not even ping the very same DHCP server which provided the IP in the first place).

I have tried the XP bridge compatibility command without success. I have tried installing XPSP1, XPSP2 and Win2KSP4 on the server (Win2K requires a 3rd party software bridge). In all 3 cases the behavior of the wireless connection is the same. I have tried XPSP1 and XPSP2 on the laptop.

Any help would be welcome.

Reply to
Panos Stokas
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@ekei.com (Panos Stokas) wrote in news:a68ecb7c.0503250246.5e3c46a3 @posting.google.com:

You can try removing NETBeui off the NIC and see what happens. The wireless connection may not work with wireless encryption and NETBeui, because NETBeui is not a routable protocol.

I have also used NWLink on wireless connections to allow wired and wireless Win 2K machines to network when wireless encryption was enabled on a machine. You'll notice the third paragraph down in the link. If you use NWLink, then uninstall NETBeui first, otherwise you'll hose the TCP/IP stack and it will need to be reset.

formatting link
It may or may not fix your problem.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Hmm, I only have the TCP protocol installed in both systems. Thanks though.

Reply to
Panos Stokas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.