HWIC-4SHDSL for 32 PVC

Hello Please give me the required guideline for configuring up to 32 permanent virtual circuits (PVC) per HWIC-4SHDSL if it is feasible. I am using a CISCO3845 router with two of HWIC-4SHDSL and the IOS of S384AESK9-12415T. Yashar

Reply to
zonouz
Loading thread data ...

It should just be a matter of going through with ATM subinterfaces.. ie.

int atm 1/1.32 pvc 0/32 encaps ... ... int atm 1/1.33 pvc 0/33 encaps ... ... int atm 1/1.34 pvc 0/34 encaps ... ...

etc. etc.

But I guess I fail to see why you need so many? Almost all implementations would use a single PVC, very special setups may require 2-4?

What would you need 32 for? What are you trying to do?

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Dear Doug

Thank you for reply. With this IOS version, HWIC-4SHDSL can create maximum of two ATM interfaces (using dsl-group command, each dsl group will create one ATM Interface) and I can create maximum of 8 ATM sub-interface (PVC configured as mentioned above) per each ATM interface. However, I know that Cisco in the datasheet of "Cisco Symmetric High- Bitrate DSL High Speed WAN Interface Cards for Cisco Integrated Services Routers" which includes both 2-pair (HWIC-2SHDSL) and 4-pair (HWIC-4SHDSL) modules, mentioned that they can only "Sustains up to 8 permanent virtual circuits (PVCs) per HWIC". In my scenario, I want to connect 64 branch offices to my HQ office. Each branch office connects with a 64Kbps link to WAN and I want to use this 3845 router in the HQ and connect a group of 32 branch offices to one of HWIC modules that installed on the 3845. Do you have any better Idea? Regards, Yashar

Reply to
zonouz

Okay, you say you can create 8 ATM sub-interfaces, and the data sheet says you can create 8 PVCs per HWIC (not per interface as your first statement and post say).

So, the limits seem to be correctly implemented in IOS to match what the data sheet says.

8 PVCs max per HWIC. ^^^^^^

In general, the limits stated by Cisco are really the limits. There's not a way to push things.

Hmm, I've never heard of any telco delivering data like that over G.SHDSL trunks back to a site. I've seen delivery of one, or several IMUX'd together point to point (which is what these cards are really designed for), but not many to one like you are trying to do?

Much more likely many to one trunk delivery methods are IMA T1's or an ATM DS3 for your HQ site. The IMA T1 cards can create many PVCs (AIM-ATM+VWIC-xx bundles can do 1,024 PVCs) back to your HQ site.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Dear Doug

Thank you for reply. My service priveder is using Alcatel Asam 7300 (DSLAM) and says that "Symmetric high speed DSL (SHDSL) can be an alternative to the traditional (and expensive) E1 service, especially with applications that require high upstream bandwidths like video conferencing and WAN networking." and so do not tend to give ATM on E1. They are not also able to provide fiber optic links in my HQ office area. So do you have any Idea on using G.SHDSL for this purpose. Do you think that installing AIM-ATM may increase the PVC limit of HWIC-4SHDSL (in the same way of VWIC-xx modules)?

Regards, Yashar

Reply to
zonouz

I wouldn't have thought the bandwidth would be all that different between G.SHDSL and E1, but I guess it would be slightly higher. Around here, depending on distance, T1s are usually cheaper than SHDSL hookups for anything.

I don't think Cisco is going to support what you want to do, I doubt that the AIM-ATM would raise the limit of another card not specificly mentioned as part of the datasheet.

You may want to ask the telco what gear they suggest for your scenario. I just haven't seen it deployed like that at all, nor seen any gear that can handle it. As I originaly posted, G.SHDSL usually deployed with a single PVC or possibly 2 for a strange setup.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

you need to ask your service provider what the network topology would look like for your set of connections.

usually there will be an IP or similar "cloud" behind the DSLAM, so your PVC only goes as far as the access into the router which hooks you into that cloud.

however - like Doug i have only seen the DSLAM PVCs used to connect device to DSLAM - the DSLAM is not an ATM switch so you do not normally get 1 PVC per far end destination.

So you usually only need 1 PVC - all traffic from your SDSL inteface goes from there to a router, and you get to your service via just 1 PVC, even with multiple destinations.

Reply to
Stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.