How do you implement SPAN on a 2801 Router with a HWIX-4ESW card installed.

The specifications for this card seem to indicate that SPAN can be used for port monitoring with this router, however port monitoring commands (ie: show port monitor) are not available in the IOS (version 12.4). Any ideas on how to get it working?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
BillR
Loading thread data ...

Have you tried

#sh monitor sess 1 Session 1

--------- Source Ports: RX Only: None TX Only: None Both: None Source VLANs: RX Only: None TX Only: None Both: None Destination Ports: None Filter VLANs: None

This is a 3845 with NM-16ESW.

No idea if it actually works though.

Reply to
Bod43

Using a 9-ESW HWIC, I tried this, in global config mode (prompt=Routername(config)# ) after doing conf t monitor session 1 source interface fastethernet 0/1/0 monitor session 1 destination interface fastethernet 0/1/8

My objective was to copy all the traffic on interface 0/1/0 to the 0/1/8 interface, where I plugged in a PC with ethereal.

To stop the monitor session and remove the configuration do no monitor session 1

If this sort of thing works for you please say and confirm that what I did makes sense. I am a complete beginner with Cisco and read about this monitor session facility on one of the manual pages I have managed to print out. I have an idea that the Cisco itself can somehow display the packets going through but I have yet to discover what commands do this and how to ever stop such a process if I get it started.

Best regards, Eric.

Reply to
Eric Johnston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.