home dsl and wireless 1230 AP

Does anybody know if a Cisco 1230 AP and a home DSL line will work together? I would like to configure my AP and break things in the safety of my home network.

If so, can someone point me to documentation?

I am wondering if I can go directly from the DSL line to the AP or do I need to go through the cable modem, then set up my own DHCP server. Thanks for any help, David

Reply to
David Williams
Loading thread data ...

David,

It all depends on equipment you have. Do you have just a simple DSL modem or it has embedded router? Most modern DSL modems can be configured to act both ways. Also, as I remember, Cisco 1230 AP can act as DHCP server. So, you may do it either way.

Good luck,

Mike CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc. CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)

------ Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

to go through the

Thanks for everyone's help

Reply to
David Williams

The AP 1200 is able to acquire an IP address via DHCP.

That being said it is simply a bridge ( as are most APs)

It will not provide NAT/PAT or any firewall functions.

If you have multiple devices on you home network then you need NAT/PAT for all devices to be able to access Internet

So it would probably be best to have a router or firewall between the AP and the DSL modem

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.