new cisco user seeks advise

Hi all,

I'm needing to configure and maintain a 1601 router for a small office. Any documentation/software that came with the unit has been lost.

q1) I expected that Cisco.com would be a easy place to find the replacement materials. The best I've found is this page that has links to a somewhat disjunct series of articles. It's better than nothing, but if someone knows a better link, please let me know.

formatting link
q2) The above link has a pointer to where I could download some software, if I'm logged in and I have the proper access. Proper access appears to involve Valid Purchase or Sales Order Number and Customer Number or PICA Registration Number and Verification Key or CCIE Certification. There's something I don't get here ... we own the router, aren't we entitled to the software? I feel clueless - perhaps someone has a link to something I need to read?

q3) I want to modify the ACL and check the firmware version number. I'm aware of IOS ... l can probably deal with it, but I'd like to check out ConfigMaker too. Where's the best place to get a copy of that?

Thanks in advance, Johnny

Reply to
Johnny
Loading thread data ...

know.http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps214/tsd_products_sup...>

There is lots of documentation on CCO but not necessarily easily located.

Here another doc you can download

Cisco 1600 Series Software Configuration Guide:

formatting link

Cisoc publish config guides by IOS release so if you capture and post the output of the command

show version

Then responders can assist you further.

You will need a SmartNet support contract to download software and to obtain ongoing support from the Cisoc TAC.

Find the distributor who sold the router to you company and they should be able to assist you with finding out about the details of SmartNet and the assoicated cost.

I would encourage you to become confortable with using the IOS CLI interface. GUIs are find until they do not generate the right config and then you have to fight with them. It is important to become familiar with all of the show commands and even some of the debug commands.

There are quite a number of people here to assist so do not hesitate to ask - after you have read the manual ;-))

Reply to
Merv

Also I would higly recoomend that you capture the cuurent config and save it on your PC or file server.

and backup the IOS image to a TFTP server so you can reload in case of an emergency. You will not be able to download a replacement copy (unless your unit is still under the 90 day warranty) without a SmartNet agreement.

Reply to
Merv

Thanks for the info Merv. Folks on usenet are nice people. I was waiting to respond so that I might dazzle you with my quickly learned skills. I'm not quite there yet. I did get the running-config and the startup-config off the router. They happen to be the same, which I think is a good thing. I was setting up to do the IOS backup when a little inconsistency in the documentation made me wonder if I was looking at the right stuff. Show version says I'm running 12.1(18) of IOS, but when I go to Cisco.com and look at the doc for 12.1 mainline they don't show that release. I've been using that doc, having a problem with router#show bootvar (among other little issues). It makes me wonder if I'm using the right manual. Comments?

Doc I'm using:

formatting link
goofy little thing: router#show bootvar ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

show version: Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) 1600 Software (C1600-Y-L), Version 12.1(18), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1986-2002 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Mon 02-Dec-02 17:32 by kellythw Image text-base: 0x08034F18, data-base: 0x02005000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(10)AA, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

cms uptime is 23 weeks, 1 day, 12 hours, 35 minutes System returned to ROM by power-on System image file is "flash:c1600-y-l.121-18.bin"

cisco 1601 (68360) processor (revision C) with 16384K/2048K bytes of memory. Processor board ID 07067574, with hardware revision 00000000 Bridging software. X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) 1 Serial network interface(s) 1 Serial(sync/async) network interface(s) WIC T1-DSU System/IO memory with parity disabled 2048K bytes of DRAM onboard 16384K bytes of DRAM on SIMM System running from FLASH 7K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

Configuration register is 0x2102

Reply to
Johnny

Also take a look at

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

try

show boot?

to see what commands are shown.

show bootvar replaced show boot, so you could also try

show boot

Reply to
Merv

One thing you should realize about cisco, is that while IOS tries to be all encompassing, there are small slight variances between platforms.

The small low-end platforms might have 99.99% of the commands, but you seem to have picked a not-so-used-much command that might not be implemented on the platform you have. I wouldn't worry about it much. You probably won't be able to find another command that isn't supported.

So, in addition to knowing IOS, you tend to have to know each of the platforms and different interface cards little quirks sometimes.. Although in this case, its not that important of a thing to know.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.