Help with troubleshooting PPP status

Good afternoon

We have a Cisco 837 which connects our office to ADSL. Someone in our office inadertently cancelled our ADSL service the other day and the ISP tells me that it is now re-connected. No configuration change has been made to the Cisco 837 in the meantime, but it isn't connecting.

If I do a "show interface", this is all I get for the Dialer1 interface. Dialer1 is up (spoofing), line protocol is up (spoofing) Hardware is Unknown Internet address will be negotiated using IPCP MTU 1500 bytes, BW 56 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec, reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255 Encapsulation PPP, loopback not set DTR is pulsed for 1 seconds on reset Last input never, output never, output hang never Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:21:08 Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0 Queueing strategy: weighted fair Output queue: 0/1000/64/0 (size/max total/threshold/drops) Conversations 0/0/16 (active/max active/max total) Reserved Conversations 0/0 (allocated/max allocated) Available Bandwidth 42 kilobits/sec 5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec 5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec 0 packets input, 0 bytes 0 packets output, 0 bytes

Can anyone help me with how I can make the Cisco show me status in realtime of what's happening on the Dialer1 interface - in particular the result of it's attempts to establish a PPP connection. I'm suspecting that it's just an authentication problem - presumably the ISP have reset the password when the account was re-established. I'm just wanting to confirm this for myself whilst waiting for the ISP to get back to me.

Would appreciate any advice.

Regards Ron

Reply to
<ronllew
Loading thread data ...

We have a Cisco 837 which connects our office to ADSL. Someone in our office inadertently cancelled our ADSL service the other day and the ISP tells me that it is now re-connected. No configuration change has been made to the Cisco 837 in the meantime, but it isn't connecting.

If I do a "show interface", this is all I get for the Dialer1 interface. Dialer1 is up (spoofing), line protocol is up (spoofing) Hardware is Unknown Internet address will be negotiated using IPCP MTU 1500 bytes, BW 56 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec, reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255 Encapsulation PPP, loopback not set DTR is pulsed for 1 seconds on reset Last input never, output never, output hang never Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:21:08 Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0 Queueing strategy: weighted fair Output queue: 0/1000/64/0 (size/max total/threshold/drops) Conversations 0/0/16 (active/max active/max total) Reserved Conversations 0/0 (allocated/max allocated) Available Bandwidth 42 kilobits/sec 5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec 5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec 0 packets input, 0 bytes 0 packets output, 0 bytes

Can anyone help me with how I can make the Cisco show me status in realtime of what's happening on the Dialer1 interface - in particular the result of it's attempts to establish a PPP connection. I'm suspecting that it's just an authentication problem - presumably the ISP have reset the password when the account was re-established. I'm just wanting to confirm this for myself whilst waiting for the ISP to get back to me.

Would appreciate any advice.

Regards Ron

If it is authentication 'deb ppp authentication' will show you.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

conf t ! If you are using telnet logg monitor deb

! If you are using console port logg console deb

end

! redirect deb output to telnet session (vty) term mon

! use one or the other or both deb ppp neg deb ppp auth

I feel that it is good practise not to leave console logging on due to potential CPU overload.

Have a look at deb ppp ? to see what the options are.

An authentication problem is pretty obvious from the debugs.

Reply to
anybody43

Many thanks for your input.

The ISP resolved the matter before I got a chance to implement these monitoring methods, but I'm grateful and will try these out. Thanks for the tip also about watching out for CPU overload potential.

Regards Ron

Reply to
<ronllew

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.