Help Please

Hi Guys

I'm looking for some advice please

I'm working my way through all my switches and routers on my LAN, theres over 200+ switches and I'm trying to add a set of commands onto each one

My first issue is that I have a set of 3550's, 2900XL's, 2900-24 with all different IOS's on them. I can cope with this

My main issue is that it is so tedious having to telnet to each switch apply the config lines and check for CDP neighbours

Is anyone aware of any Windows app that I can point at the core and tell it to "Go Find!" and this will then draw out my LAN with switch models and IOS revisions

I know Cisco Works used to do this but it also costs A LOT

Heres hoping

Steve

Reply to
Steve Ray
Loading thread data ...

Visio used to have a tool that would do that...but I think its discontinued. I did read something about it being on some developers or special edition, but never found a demo. There are tools that will do it (Ciscoworks, Opnet, etc), but none that are free. You are probably stuck. If you find one, be sure to post the information in here, as I'm sure many people would greatly appreciate such a tool...particularly those of us with large infrastructures.

Reply to
Trendkill

I used to manage networks through HP Openview, where we used to run scripts when we had more than 1 device to configure. I don't know if you're running something similar, but I think, if you use some sort of a system that will allow you to input scripts, you could possibly access 1 machine through telnet, start a script, including telnets to each additional system and have the configs added automatically.

I think you could do this even with notepad. You'd set up a script to run the commands you want to update, then, from the 1st device (usually a distribution device, run a telnet to the next machine, run your commands, exit, then do the next telnet, etc

Here's an example of what it might look like:

telnet 10.1.1.1

cisco

! en cisco !

conf t

int fa0/0 no shut end copy run start

!

telnet 10.1.1.2

cisco

en cisco

! conf t int f0/0 no shut end copy run start

exit

telnet 10.1.1.3 cisco

en cisco

conf t int f0/0 no shut end copy run start

exit

Something like that might work. It's a bit clumsy and clunky, but it should do the job. I've done it at home when I had a home lab

Reply to
Mike Rahl

Steve,

Do you have a Linux box? Just make a simple script, something like this:

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

Hi Mike

Unfortunatley we are a MS house. Linux is something that we are starting to look at seriously but we need to take our engineers thru a lot of training and quals before we are able to happily support Linux

I have tried to script this with DOS but the telnet session drops as soon as I try and pipe any commands into it, such as

telnet %1 (IP address of switch) password en password conf t do-some-config-changes exit exit wr exit

Maybe Linux would be a way to approach this. At the minute I'm banging away in Excel putting a spreadshhet of all the kit together, tedious, slow, but exact. And thankfully theres only me that deploys these, so soon I'll get bored

Steve

Reply to
Steve Ray

Guys

This piece of VBS goes some way to getting the configs but it requires me to know the IP address of all the kit. It may be of some use to some of us. It also requires SolarWindows Engineers Edition

----Start Of Script----

' This script requires Solar Winds TFTP server!! ' ' Edit the TFTPRootDIR = line to a directory of your choice (make sure the foldet exists) ' Now edit the following line with the customers RW community string and device IP Addresses Download "192.168.14.1","read write community string" ' This script will over write files with the same name!! ' ' Now all you need to do is change the file extension to .vbs ' ' ' This script will save you heaps of time when you need to get a customers configs on mass, or as a backup method!! ' ' *********Have Fun************ ' Option Explicit

Dim TransferEngine Dim Transfer

Dim TFTPRootDir Dim Success

TFTPRootDir = "c:\\TFTP-Root\\Cisco-Configs" ' Root Directory of TFTP Server

On Error Resume Next

Wscript.Echo "Started Download of Configs. Press OK to continue!" Err.Clear ' ' Connect to the SolarWinds Config Transfer Engine Set TransferEngine = CreateObject("SWCiscoTransfer.Application")

If Err 0 Then Wscript.Echo "Cannot start SolarWinds Config Transfer Engine." & vbCrLf & _ Err.Description Else ' ' Set the TFTP Root Directory TransferEngine.TFTPRootDir = TFTPRootDir

' Download configs from the devices

Download "10.3.95.254","private" ;----IP address of Unit followed by private SNMP value Download "10.3.95.253","private" Download "10.3.95.252","private"

Wscript.Echo Success End If Set TransferEngine = Nothing

Sub Download(IP,Community) ' Create a new transfer object Set Transfer = TransferEngine.Transfers.NewTransfer

' Set IP address and Community string Transfer.IP = IP Transfer.Community = Community

' Download config If Transfer.DownloadConfig then 'Success = Success & "Success:Downloaded Config to " & Transfer.FullPathname & vbcrlf Else Success = Success & "Error :" & Transfer.LastError & vbcrlf End If Set Transfer = Nothing End Sub

----End Of Script----

Steve

Reply to
Steve Ray

Steve,

Theoretically you may script it through a Terminal software under Windows. For example, TeraTerm software has a macro engine (scripting engine), which has pretty good commands set. However it requires some time to create and debug a script. Basically you can open a file with list of switches you want to program, ask for command (or open another file with set of commands), and then go through all switches in the list.

Good luck,

Mike CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc. CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)

------ Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

apply > the config lines and check for CDP neighbours

Well, at least the discovery part could be done using netdisco

formatting link
Ciao Chris

--=20 All diese Momente werden verloren sein in der Zeit, so wie Tr=E4nen im Re= gen Dipl-Ing (FH) Christian 'Dr. Disk' Hechelmann IRC: DrDisk GPG Fingerprint: 53BF634B 28326F92 79651A15 F84ABB55 4F068E4E Ich finde, scharfe Waffen und "Feuer nach eigenem Ermessen" sollte zum Adminjob dazugeh=F6ren. [Lars Marowsky-Bree in d.a.s.r]

Reply to
drdisk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.