HELP - Exchange & Cisco 1700 Lockdown from SPAM

Hello everyone,

I want to thank everyone in advance for any information you provide. I'm going to be as straigh forward as possible and give as much detail as possible.

We are running Windows 2000 SBS with Exchange and I have recently moved my SPAM scanning externally outside of our building, through a third-party SPAM scanning company called SpamSoap.

The issue that I am having foolows: The scanner is working correctly and stopping almost all of the SPAM. However, someone is directly mailing to our IP address; as our IP is static we can not change it. SpamSoap recommends locking down our exchange server to only except mail from a certain IP range they give us. This is the problem, I don't know how to put these IP addresses into exchange, and/or my Cisco 1700 router.

Does anyone know how to complete this? Is this true and possible to be done? Thanks again for looking and giving any thoughts you might have! Mickie

Reply to
mickiemellott
Loading thread data ...

I think you are asking how to ACL off SMTP from everywhere except the IP-range of your 3rd party provider. You would do this by creating an access-list on the router that allows SMTP (port 25) from your SPAM filter and nothing else. I would need more information on how exactly this spam filter works (is your email domain pointed/owned by their servers and whatever passes the filter is sent on to your specific mail server, or is something else going on). But here is an example of an ACL:

access-list 101 permit tcp any host a.b.c.d eq smtp access-list 101 deny tcp any any eq smtp

You would then apply that ACL to your external interface on your router:

int ip access-group 101 in

Again, I would strong discourage doing anything until you have a complete understanding of the flow of traffic (in this case mail) with your 3rd party provider. The last thing you want is an email outage......

Reply to
Trendkill

Thank you very much for your input... here the flow of traffic and additional information you requested: Our DNS records (through GoDaddy) point/redirect the mail to their servers where it is checked for SPAM and then their (spamsoap) server's send the mail on top our IP Address/mail server. Spamsoap has provided a block of IP addresses to allow within the router. I need to set these up because spammers are bypassing the scanner and mailing directing to our mail server. I'm pretty sure that what you are saying is what I need, I'm just not sure how to go about setting it up within the 1700. Thank you again for your help, Mickie

Reply to
Mickie

Then you will do exactly what i outlined above. If its a contiguous address space, you'll have one allow statement with the network address/range of their servers. If not, then you'll have to add in several allow statements. Follow it up with one deny any any eq smtp, and finally a permit ip any any at the end (else the explicit deny on the end will kill all traffic which you certainly don't want). This should clear it up. Here is an example:

If their addresses are 1.1.1.0 - 1.1.1.63 and your mail server is

access-list 101 permit tcp 1.1.1.0 255.255.255.192 host 2.2.2.2 eq smtp access-list 101 deny tcp any host 2.2.2.2 eq smtp access-list 101 permit ip any any

interface ip access-group 101 in

May want to get one other person on here to review that and make sure I didn't miss something. Statement one allows traffic from their range to your server. Statement two blocks any host from sending smtp traffic to your server (may want to do any any instead if you want SMTP blocked to everything else). Statement three allows everything else so that the implicit deny doesn't kill everything else.

The last will apply the ACL inbound on your outbound interface, blocking it as the traffic comes into your network.

Reply to
Trendkill

Thanks for getting back to me about this, I am trying what you have outlined and I am getting an error when I try to type in "access-list" My Cisco is telling me that it is an invaild place holder/marker.

Please let me know what I should....thanks, Mickie

Reply to
Mickie

You are typing 'config t' first right? The access-list command should be available on any IOS router, so if this still isn't working, do a '?' at the config prompt and paste me what the output.

Reply to
Trendkill

That was it! I knew I was forgetting something! Thanks for your help I got it going now! Take care, Mickie

Reply to
Mickie

Have you verified if its working as you desired yet? Glad you are up and running.

Reply to
Trendkill

Yes, it's been working smoothly now for about tw o days. Thanks again for all your help! Mickie

Reply to
Mickie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.