help IP pass through

I have been given a group of ip address from the service provider and I want to be able to use these address directly and also have anothe group of address which are being NATed is this posable

Reply to
deano
Loading thread data ...

What is the IP range. As long as you can subnet it, yes you can carve out some addresses and others for static. However, your network device may not support 'passing addresses through', and you may need to install a switch on the outside of your router for the static addresses, and use a switch on the inside that will hold your private range that you are using for NAT.

Reply to
Trendkill

first Thanks for the responce

I am using a 2811 and several netgear switches(not my first choice) I curently have several Vlans established which are being NATed using the first IP block example would be vlan 1. I would like to use the second block for vlan 204 but have the second public ip address map directly through to vlan204 devices.

! interface FastEthernet0/0 description $ETH-LAN$$ETH-SW-LAUNCH$$INTF-INFO-FE 0/0$ no ip address duplex full speed 100 ! interface FastEthernet0/0.1 description Management VLAN encapsulation dot1Q 1 native ip address 10.51.254.254 255.255.255.0 ip nat inside ip virtual-reassembly no snmp trap link-status no cdp enable ! ! interface FastEthernet0/0.204 description IP SPACE encapsulation dot1Q 204 ip address x.x.x.254 255.255.255.0 ip virtual-reassembly no snmp trap link-status no cdp enable ! ip nat pool slsdc x.y.204.65 x.y.204.191 prefix-length 24 ! access-list 7 permit 10.51.0.0 0.0.255.255

Reply to
deano

You could bridge the outside into the inside, but then I'm not sure NAT would work then. If I understand correctly, you want to NAT to VLAN 1 and then you want other public addresses to be given to VLAN

204. Why not just move vlan 204 to the outside of the router and config the router to NAT some vlan 204 public IPs to your internal vlan 1? Not the most secure option since there is no DMZ, but doesn't sound like you have one today.
Reply to
Trendkill

How would i place vlan 204 on the outside?

Reply to
deano

Well, you can leave logical vlan 204 where it is, but move the devices that you need to have external IPs to a switch hooked up outside your router. Internet Connection -> External Switch -> Router -> Internal Switch

The external switch would have your external devices and your external router interface (where NAT is), which then NATs to the internal switch vlans, etc. Perhaps I have misunderstood what you are trying to do, but if vlan 204 is routed internal address space, I don't see how you can 'passthru' public IPs to it.

Reply to
Trendkill

both ipspace come through a serial link i do have another eithernet port on the 2811 is it posable to have both come through the serial link then break them apart to indivual ports on the cisco. then i could just rout this through the network

Reply to
deano

Probably. Lets say you had 1.1.1.0/24.

Take your external interface, and instead of making it 1.1.1.2/24 (I assume .1 is your provider), set it at 1.1.1.2/25. Then NAT this to your first ethernet port. Then take the second half (1.1.1.128), and put 1.1.1.129/25 on your second ethernet interface. Your only problem with this is that your provider would need to have a route for

1.1.1.128 through 1.1.1.2. You may be able to use some kind of bridge option, but I'm not really sure. I'm sure someone else will speak up who has had a similar situation......
Reply to
Trendkill

thanks i have some thing to look at next week

Reply to
deano

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.