FWSM 3.1(7): DNS static causes lost connectivity

Hi all

I've posted a few times before regarding and issue where I after a firewall migration suddenly loose external and internal access to services with static entires in my FWSM. The only hint I have is a show xlate where both the local and global IP is the external IP for the static. Now, a few days ago I retried the migration and had no problems until I finally moved the statics for our two DNSes with authority over our domain. As soon as these statics were entered in the FWSM and traffic was redirected from our edge routers I saw the duplicate IPs in the logs and lost connectivity. I've sent this to a few CCIE guys but no answer yet.

My only guess is something with DNS inspection, which is configured default on, but I need this feature for my outside NAT.

Is there something else that can be done?

Regards Fredrik

Reply to
Hoffa
Loading thread data ...

Are you routing context to context? If so, thats a big no-no. With a FWSM you essentially need to route to a true routing point, i.e a vlan interface on the supervisor for inter context communication. FWSM's work off what is called a qualifier and NAT's take precedence over static routes. Basically you can never have (or should never have) context to context communication directly, it can cause all kinds of issues.

context to context = bad context to route point to context = good

Reply to
Brian V

I know that limitation. I have two contexts configured on the FWSM but they are separated by a router and not sharing any VLANs at all.

/Fredrik

Reply to
Hoffa

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.