Can a FWSM route between 802.1q VLANs?

Greetings

I'm currently investigating possible configurations of a Cisco 6500 with MSFC and a newly installed FWSM. The MSFC is currently configured mainly for routing between some 802.1q VLANS on our internal network with the use of SVIs for the seperate VLANs and subnets.

My idea is to configure the MSFC as being outside of the FWSM as indicated by the various documentations for the FWSM. This will remove the MSFC from the VLAN routing task, however I still want to route and restric the access between the different VLANs.

When managing a previous company network I used a Pix 515 to route between 802.1q VLANs but I'm unable to find some direct information how this is done with the FWSM. My guess is that this is a simple thing since you assing VLANs on the 6500 as interfaces on the FWSM but I still have to be 100% sure.

I would appreciate if anyone could provide me with some clarity on this. Also if any additional information is needed please let me know

Regards Fredrik Hofgren

Reply to
Hoffa
Loading thread data ...

Hoffa,

You would have to configure the different vlans as inside vlans in the FWSM. To route between the inside vlasn you would have to choose between allow communication between vlans in the same security level or provide ACLs for the communications between them.

Camilo

Hoffa wrote:

Reply to
Camilo

About the same setup as I have used with a PIX 515 before. Good to know Thank you for the answer.

Regards Fredrik Hofgren

Camilo skrev:

Reply to
Hoffa

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.