Failure after switch warms up

After some debugging, I have come to the conclusion that my 2924XL-EN switch decides to fail within a couple of minutes of running whin in a rack. Data on serial console port goes into garbage mode, and various yellow lights turn on above the ports. Switch becomes unresponsive.

If I run it standalone on my desk, it can run for hours without problems. All fans operate normally.

Is this something which is a lost cause, or is is just some bad contact somewhere that could be reseated and get me reliable service ?

Reply to
JF Mezei
Loading thread data ...

SOunds a bit odd - if it fails in the rack but not on your desk, what is the difference between rack and desk?

In the rack, do you have data patched into it?

If so, then maybe you have memory problems or a corrupt file system?

Delete all files from it and download new ones from Cisco - reload them after re-formatting the memory.

Reply to
Arthur Brain

Ambiant temperature. On the rack, it is right on top of an alpha server that is "warm", whereas the desk is cold. The longer I leave it unpowered in the rack, the longer it runs before going nuts.

No not yet. In the rack, it is sitting under the running switch from which cables will be moved. (that was the plan anyways, now I won't move them unless I can get the "new" switch to be reliable. If left unpowered long enough, it will run long enough to autonegotiate with 2 test ports and work a short time with them before going nuts. (at which points, port LEDs can either all turn green or some/all turn yellow). Serial port displays lots of garbage and is then unresponsive.

I had taken off the cover and used compressed air to clean all the dust bunnies inside. No apparent damage inside.

The file system was rebuilt from scratch a few weeks ago. Initally, the switch had exhibited that problem in the computer room too, but at the time, I had written this off as a faulty serial cable to the console

Reply to
JF Mezei

The switches should be able to handle a bit of heat - I remember a site where all the switches were just chucked into dusty cupboards along with terminal servers for the dumb-terminals.

All the rubber feet on the switches were melted onto the top of their shelves.

Reply to
Arthur Brain

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.