Cisco router - vlans and bridge.

Hello,

I have cisco router connected to 2 hosts. On fastethernet interface I have two subinterfaces: one on 802.1q VLAN 100 and other one on VLAN

200. I have bridge 2 (protocol ieee). The subinterfaces are bridged using bridge-group 2. I have also BVI 2 using IP with the same IP class 192.168.100.0/24 then hosts. The problem is that I can ping BVI-Host#1, I can ping BVI-Host#2 but can't ping Host#1-Host#2, like subinterfaces never have been bridged. Moreover in 'show bridge 2 verbose' output I can see Host#1 and Host#2 macaddresses.

I have to setup bridge of this two subinterfaces so Host#1 and Host#2 belonging to different VLANS can contact each other.

Below this is my cisco router config:

Current configuration : 1059 bytes ! version 12.2 service timestamps debug uptime service timestamps log uptime no service password-encryption ! hostname Router ! aaa new-model enable password havana ! username zdalny password 0 havana ip subnet-zero ! ! ! bridge irb ! ! interface FastEthernet0 ip address 192.168.3.33 255.255.255.0 no keepalive half-duplex no cdp enable ! interface FastEthernet0.100 encapsulation dot1Q 100 no cdp enable bridge-group 2 ! interface FastEthernet0.200 encapsulation dot1Q 200 no cdp enable bridge-group 2 ! interface BVI2 ip address 192.168.100.100 255.255.255.0 ! ip classless no ip http server ! ! bridge 2 protocol ieee ! line con 0 line aux 0 line vty 0 4 ! end

Please point me where is the error.

Regards, Jarek

Reply to
Jarek Jarzebowski
Loading thread data ...

Bridging VLANs would put them into the same broadcast domain, but the point of VLANs is that they are *not* in the same broadcast domain. You are trying to do something contradictory.

If you have two interfaces in different subnets in different VLANs, you would normally put them in different BVI and establish routing between them.

If you have two interfaces in the same subnet but in different VLANs then you are making problems for yourself!

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.