DS3 Breakdown for bandwidth command

Greetings, An friend and I are trying to determine how Cisco arrives at 44736 for a DS3. Furthermore we want to create a table for other speeds within a DS3's capacity.

There is a minor disagreement on how to calculate the bandwidth. I vote

1544 * # of channels. He votes for "10" x 1024 for a 10 meg circuit.

However, I get the feeling we are both not right. Cisco shows examples of bandwith 44736

for a full ds3. However, I don't know how they come up with that...

1544 x 28 = 43232 1544 x 29 = 44776 (CLOSE, but no cigar)

1024 x anything = not close

My understanding is it should be 1544 x 28. I'm told that the extra

1504 for the 44736 is due to framing. I can not find any good information for the framing overhead that equals 1504. I've found some that'll equal 1536. (64 x 24) We use C-bit framing....

Any input on exactly how to calculate these channels and so forth will be appreciated.

Reply to
ceyko1
Loading thread data ...

You'll really want to readup on how the information is mashed and splitup inside a DS3. There's several tech articles for the googling..

You're missing all the framing and sub-code information bits stuffed into the mix. 1544*28 is closer, but missing the framing and c-bits.

4 DS1s form a DS2. 7 DS2s form a DS3.

A DS2 M-Subframe takes 12-bits from each of its 4 DS1s, and starts with a frame bit, and seperates each of the 48-bit info blocks with c-bits or frame bits.

A DS2 Multiframe takes its component DS2 M-Subframes and seperates them out with M framing bits, and then you get M23 Stuff blocks from interleaving each of your DS2s.

Finally, you get a DS3 M-Subframe from each of the DS2 M-Subframes, and you stuff those together into the full DS3 Frame with additional framing and c-bits.

Now-a-days, they don't need the clock recovery bits, so the c-bit framing uses them for sub-band signal codes downstream.

Whew.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Doug, Thank you for the response. It is appreciated.

Take care, ceyko

Reply to
ceyko1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.