DNS and cisco routers

Hi gents, my domain machines don't work correctly with my dns, but they do with my dhcp , so I wonder if there is any parameter such as ip helper-address for dhcp, that should be configured to make dns work in different connected networks.

Thanks in advance .

Reply to
Sako
Loading thread data ...

No. There isn't. See (1) below.

Walter Roberson provided a relevant response only moments ago in an unrelated thread. Your posting exemplifies what he is talking about.

From: snipped-for-privacy@hushmail.com (Walter Roberson) Message-ID:

[...] Shahin,

The great majority of questions that are posted here are not precise enough to determine what the user is -really- observing, or to determine what the user -really- wants to do. What the user -really- wants to do is often different than what the user -asks- to do.

When the people who *volunteer* their time to answer questions encounter an ambiguous question, or a situation that strongly suggests to them that the user is taking the wrong approach, they have several options on how to proceed:

1) answer the question that was actually posted and only that question. The most common answer would likely be, "You can't do that.", because people often make mistakes in their postings;

2) point out some ambiguities in the question or situation and ask the poster to clarify what they want;

3) list several meanings that the poster -might- have intended, and provide answers for each of the -possible- meanings; this can take literally hours to write up, whereas just asking the poster to clarify might take only a few minutes;

4) Use intuition, experience, and creative mind-reading to decide what the poster -really- needs, and answer that;

5) decide that it isn't worth the time of the answerer to try to go back and forth with the poster to figure out what the real situation is, and so simply not answer at all.

I have been around enough and have answered enough technical questions (20,000 or so), that I have developed a relatively good sense of when posted questions are not the right ones for the situation. I find, though, that I no longer have time to answer all the -possible- meanings, so more and more I am pointing out different possible meanings and asking for clarification.

Reply to
briggs

Reply to
Sako

DNS works independently from DHCP. You *may* get DNS server address through DHCP, but it may be configure it manually.

1. Try to check on your PC, what DNS server is provided by your DHCP server (if it is) or configured manually. Make sure it's the same IP address you MUST have (there could be typo or old info in your DHCP server).

ipconfig /all

1. Try to ping the DNS server. In most cases you should be able to do this, but not necessary.

1. Try to check DNS server through "nslookup" utility:

nslookup

formatting link

1. If you cannot ping the IP address or cannot check through "nslookup", check if you have correct routing on your Internet router, contact your ISP or who supports DNS server, etc.

Good luck,

Mike

------ Cisco IP Phone Headset Adapters

formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

Thanks but if it is a windows issue, we are working on it. What worried me more was a config error in the ciscos.

Thanks.

Reply to
Sako

That wouldn't be a windows issue, it would be a dhcp issue.

Reply to
Thrill5

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.