DHCP Issues, with lots of routers

Hi gents! I have an issue with my dhcp topology. I'm not quite sure of how it is configured, the fact is all the routers have this configured at their interface

interface FastEthernet0 ip address 192.20.3.253 255.255.255.0 ip helper-address 17.21.4.117 ip helper-address 17.21.4.118 ip ospf network point-to-point

The ip helper-address is the dns & dhcp address. So I wondered if this is the piece of code that makes all my routers ask for dhcp leases for the clients to the domain controlers. Sorry for not explaining better, ask as much as you want.

Reply to
Sako
Loading thread data ...

Hi gents! I have an issue with my dhcp topology. I'm not quite sure of how it is configured, the fact is all the routers have this configured at their interface

interface FastEthernet0 ip address 192.20.3.253 255.255.255.0 ip helper-address 17.21.4.117 ip helper-address 17.21.4.118 ip ospf network point-to-point

The ip helper-address is the dns & dhcp address. So I wondered if this is the piece of code that makes all my routers ask for dhcp leases for the clients to the domain controlers. Sorry for not explaining better, ask as much as you want.

Reply to
Sako

Reply to
Sako

Hello Sako,

The ip helper-address will (for DHCP requests on fastethernet0) forward the packets to the specified servers.

So the answer is yes, this will do what you want. You just have to configure a scope on your DHCP servers that serve 192.20.3.0/24

Reply to
Helge Olav Helgesen

If I understand the question right, then the answer is yes, it is the ip helper-address command that causes the router to forward dhcp requests , and a bunch of other stuff, from the local network to the specified addresses. Look up ip forward-protocol on CCO for more inofrmation.

Reply to
Martin Gallagher

thnks that's what i needed

Martin Gallagher ha escrito:

Reply to
Sako

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.