Class-Based QoS and bridging

I have a Cisco 2611, with two ethernet interfaces in the same bridge group. I define a class map that matches on an IP extended access list, and define a policy map (class-based shaping) using the class map. I apply the policy to e0/1.

Traffic bridged through the router does not get shaped, and show policy interface e0/1 shows no packets going through the policy at all (either through the class map I defined or through default-class).

If I switch to generic traffic shaping, the traffic is shaped to the rate I specify. It appears that any layer 3 (or above) classifiers don't get applied when bridging traffic. Is this the expected behavior?

Is there any way around it, so I would be able to use some QoS through the bridged interfaces? Where I work, we use several Linux-based traffic shapers that can classify all the way to L7 on their bridged interfaces.

TIA

Reply to
Mark Williams
Loading thread data ...

A Cisco device does much of its work in hardware, while your Linux system is doing it all in software. The 2611 does not have this capability, but the

3750 and 3560 can (they have the hardware to do this).

Scott

Reply to
Thrill5

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.