Is that possible? pppoe <-> dhcp 'half-bridging'

Hey,

the guys on routertech.org did build a pppHB.sh script for their opensource routing software built for AR7 SOHO platforms which makes me wonder if Cisco has something similiar (maybe better working) in its repertoire:

You get an ip address from your provider by pppoe (or pppoa). The problem is, you would like this very assigned ip address on your inside network to be used, so if the outside adress is 80.80.80.80 you would like to have (dynamically) on the inside exactly this address to be assignet to one mac adress.

Is that possible?

If only one (this one) ip address could be assignet and no other private ips, that would be a pitty.

Do you have any ideas about that?

Thank you very much,

Cheers,

UG

Reply to
trashcan
Loading thread data ...

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish here or why. Why not use NAT?

Reply to
Thrill5
  • Thrill5 hackte in den Rechenknecht:

Because, as I understand, he wants to avoid it and receive "real" addresses (non-RFC-1918) directly on the inside.

Maybe you mean something along the lines of: conf t ip dhcp-pool DHCP import all origin ipcp

and then:

interface YOURINTERNALINTERFACE ip address pool DHCP

Binding to a MAC-Address should also be possible, but I don't know it by heart, so it's your turn to look it up ;-)

HTH,

luke

Reply to
Lukas Schratz

No shit. Let me ask the question another way.

Why do you need to use a "real" address on the inside? The answer to the question doesn't always solve the problem, but if we understand the problem, we can offer a solution.

Reply to
Thrill5

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.