Convert bytes to MB on cisco router

when doing a sho int atm and looking at the output.

Example

143849529 packets input, 129326779238 bytes 125183986 packets output, 29173768997 bytes there is a way to convert this to actual Mb/s

Does someone know the calculation to achieve this

Reply to
tlanum
Loading thread data ...

On 29.03.2006 22:59 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote

Take the minimum of 'Last clearing of "show interface" counters' and 'uptime' and do the math,

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

On sufficiently new high-end devices you could probably put together some TCL code that did the conversion for you.

The figures you gave are not enough information to calculate Mb/s -- to calculate that, you need the time interval as well as the volume difference.

You should decide "which" Mb/s you mean. Does your prefix 'M' mean "million" (10^6), or does it mean the same "mega" that is used to measure memory, 1024*1024*1024 (i.e., 2^30) ?

Also, because of inconsistant usage, you should decide if you want megabits per second or megabytes per second.

I would suggest that possibly the easiest thing for you to do would be to set up MRTG monitoring of the device, and let it take the measurements and do the calculations and keep the nice historical trend graphs. It usually isn't very useful to know that the average traffic rate *since the device was last reset* was something-or-other -- typically the low evening and weekend figures distort those figures completely. You probably want to get a good idea of what your peak rates are at various times: MRTG and similar are great for that.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

If you are just trying to get a traffic snapshot, then clear the interface counters and then do a show clock and a show interface together (cut and paste from notepad) wait several minutes and repeat. subtract the traffic and the clock times and do the math.

you can also configure "load-interval 30" on the interface and then it will give you traffic average for a 30 second period as seen in the output of show interface

Reply to
Merv

Short answer... there is 8 bits to 1 bytes.

Covert bits to bytes: divide the megabits by 8 Covert bytes to bits: multiple the megabytes by 8

Reply to
Joel Salminen

In article , Joel Salminen top-posted, now corrected:

Please re-examine the information the OP has available. It is in packets and bytes. There is no megabits or megabytes on it, so neither of your calculations would apply.

Your calculations are also not correct as phrased. One does not convert "bits" to "bytes" by dividing megabits by 8. Dividing megabits by 8 would yeild megabytes, not bytes.

But the OP wanted "Mb/s". As I indicated in my earlier posting, one first has to resolve what "Mb/s" means. "Mb/s" is sometimes used for "megabits per second", and sometimes for "megabytes per second" (but not correctly). In turn "megabits" might refer to one million bits (10^6), or it might refer to "mega" as in the use in computer memory, which is 1024*1024*1024 (2^30).

Once one has decided what "Mb/s" means, one will need a time interval in order to do the appropriate calculation. Scaling the data the OP showed by 8 cannot yield megabits PER SECOND.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

ok then i had this wrong. I thought this was the avg throughput at that point in time on that interface. an engineer at AT&T informed me but I must have misheard him.

I have setup MRTG so not an issue anymore

also Mb/s in my topic was meant as megabits per second.

Reply to
TLan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.