Cisco vs. Extreme

Hi gurus

I'm thinking to buy cisco's catalyst 3750 or extreme's summit 400 switch. I think bouth are quit same for the job but now I would like to hear from you gurus bad or good things about these machines.

I have cisco's catalyst 4006 core swicth and I would like to make new VLAN with new swiches. Is there a problem to do this with extremes product ?

Thanks advance jussi

Reply to
juha
Loading thread data ...

You may wish to investigate Cisco vs. Extreme:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Resource Center Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Website:

formatting link

Reply to
BradReeseCom

Hi,

I own the Summit 400 and a ton of Cisco. I'd go with the 3750, personally. The Summit command line feels like Cisco, but it isn't. I found it pretty annoying, actually. The biggest problem I have with them is a lack of VTP. I know VTP is proprietary to Cisco, but the Extremes have nothing comparable. If you expect to trunk between the Extremes and the Cisco, you will have to configure each VLAN on each switch individually. Of course, this may not be a problem for you.

Good luck!

Matt

juha wrote:

Reply to
Matthew Beck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.