Comparison to Cisco 4507R to Extreme 8810

Hello:

My company is looking at the 4507R which seems to be overkill for us (but that is ok). Right now we have a mishmash of HP Pro Curve 4000Ms and inexpensive Dell Power Connect switches. We are looking to go to a core switch for our internal network. We are a small sized company with about 80 users and several servers from public www, email, smtp, as well as internal filemaker, mysql and internal www servers. We are looking to go all Gig on the network so everything is speedy and we plan on going VoIP in the near future. We're initially looking at 3 -

48 port Gig Blades plus redundant managers, and redundant power (2x2800W) for the power.

We really like the Cisco VoIP solution that is offered. We have a small call center (20 agents) and it would be a great fit.

The ppl from Avaya of course want us to buy an Extreme Core switch model 8810 which has 3 power supplies 700W/1200W (which doesn't seem adequate but they say it is.). Also they say that the 4507R's backplane is limiting and based on old (I say 'proven') technology.

Keep in mind that the 8810 is nearly 33% more expensive than the Cisco solution we're quoting. The Extreme people say that since the backplane is 585M vs the 48M on the Cisco that it's 10 times better. I beg to differ because we'd never even come close to utilizing it. Right now we're getting by fine with the ProCurves (a 3.8M backplane)... so with the new Cisco solution, we'd be almost 15 times faster right off, if that's even a concern.

Thoughts? I need some ammo to stick with Cisco.

Thanks Marc

Reply to
stumpz
Loading thread data ...

Extreme Support is horrible

Reply to
jem12475

Hi Marc,

You may wish to investigate Extreme vs. Cisco Comparisons:

formatting link
Found at Cisco vs. Competitor Lab Tests:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Service Experts

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Hello,

formatting link
You wrote on 26 Jan 2006 14:15:28 -0800:

wBC> You may wish to investigate Extreme vs. Cisco Comparisons:

wBC>

formatting link
wBC> Found at Cisco vs. Competitor Lab Tests:

wBC>

formatting link
And Test Configuration and Methodology portion tells why I don't take such comparisons seriously. 4500 series 48 ports GigE blade is using 8:1 oversubscription to backplane. With this knowledge I can tell without any tests that trying to push 45 Gb worth of traffic through such blade is not going to work. Another question is how close to reality is such scenario. 45 Gb of sustained traffic is a lot.

With best regards, Andrey.

Reply to
Andrey Tarasov

Agreed about the traffic. At our facility, we'd never touch the 45G of sustained traffic. The switch is nice, but it's totally overkill already.

Reply to
stumpz

Hello, stumpz! You wrote on 27 Jan 2006 07:13:58 -0800:

s> Agreed about the traffic. At our facility, we'd never touch the s> 45G of sustained traffic. The switch is nice, but it's totally s> overkill already.

There is still some options. You can use 6 ports GigE blades for servers, for example. Ports are not oversubscribed on it. Or go with the stack of 3750. Or get 4503 with Sup II+TS - it has 12 wire speed copper GigE + 8 wire speed SFP ports. Connect your servers there and desctop to regular 48 ports GigE blades.

With best regards, Andrey.

Reply to
Andrey Tarasov

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.