Cisco VPN - Now my PC cannot "See" the other computers on my Home network

When I start up the VPN I seem to drop out of my simple networking workgroup I have here at home.

Reply to
DP
Loading thread data ...

VPN, or virtual private networking is the equivalent of building a tunnel from your pc to the network to which you are connecting. While your company (I'm presuming you are connecting to work) does have the option to enable 'split tunnels' which would enable you to be a 'member' of both networks simultaneously, this is usually regarded as an audit risk as it allows a user to copy files off of the corporate network to their home pcs or nodes.

That being said, once you VPN in, it is pretty much like sitting at your desk in the office, except for slower bandwidth and whatever other restrictions your employer sets on VPN connections.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Trendkill

Audit, and security ... by not allowing split tunnelling you remove the risk of the pc being compromised while browsing the Internet and providing direct access to the corporate network.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

Agreed, although I still continue to believe that internal security threats are much greater than external. ;-)

Reply to
Trendkill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.