Token Ring ro RJ-45 Adapters

Hi,

I recenly bought some RJ-45 TO DB-9-M ADAPTERS from PCCABLES.COM INC. thining I could use these to convert from Token Ring to RJ-45. However, the wiring instructions on their site don't seem to work. Can anyone advise me on how to wire these little boogers so they will work properly?

Thanks! dubster3

Reply to
dubster3
Loading thread data ...

I had always assumed that these devices had components in them to impedence match betweed the 150 ohm "IBM" cabling and the

100 ohm UTP.

Whether it will ever work without the matching I don't know.

Also:- You say from "TR to RJ45". It will still be TR. Not sure if this is just slip or if you hope to convert from TR to Ethernet which needs quite a bit more than a few wires.

Shame you didn't post to comp.dcom.lans.token-ring since it has been a few years since a real message was posted. There was a homework question last month though.

Reply to
Bod43

I think those RJ-45 to DB-9-M are not what you think they are. Did you see anything on pccable.com to indicate that? I couldn't find any.

I think these are meant to connect Cisco console ports to PCs.

Reply to
kika

Token-Ring can run on shielded or unshielded twisted-pair (UTP). Shielded cabling used different impedance and used different connecters than UTP. The standard DB9 on the Token-Ring card is to connect to shielded or UTP depending on which "dongle" you use. The "dongle" you bought allows you to connect to UTP cabling, it does NOT convert it to Ethernet, meaning you still need a Token-Ring hub/switch to connect the device to.

Scott

Reply to
Thrill5

Wow, why would anybody be messing with Token-Ring still?

Going from the DB9 to RJ45 token ring was more than just an adapter, there was a balun and filter in each of them.

But why are you messing with making something when token-ring media filter/adaptors are $0.99 on eBay?

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

yNPjIMfh4eUgx+HRzePkIMfh0c3t4woKCsfd1uEg4+be2iDh4crax9HdIMjt5CAgx+HM5NMg7eQg x+HUyMfIIObH4cjkx8og4+Qg3+Egz+bhIMfh2sfh4wp3d3cuYXJhYnp3YWouY29tCgrI5MfKIObU yMfIINrH7dLt7eQg7cra0d3mxyDa4e3f4woKCtXm0SDax9HtySDN3u3e7ckKCgrK2sfR3SDjzMfk

7SDj5CDf4SDP5uEgx+Hax+HjIHd3dy5hcmFiendhai5jb20KICBmb3IgbWFycmlnZSBhbmQgZnJp ZW5kIHNoaXDH3dbhIMrax9HdIMjt5CDH4dTIx8gg5sfhyOTHyiDj5t7aINLmx8wK48zH5O0gd3d3 LmFyYWJ6d2FqLmNvbQoKd3d3LmFyYWJ6d2FqLmNvbSDH3dbhIOPm3tog48zH5O0g4eHK2sfR3SDm IOHh0ubHzCDH4dTR2u0KCnd3dy5hcmFiendhai5jb20gICDI5MfKIObUyMfIINrH7dLlIMrK2tHd INrh7d/jCgoKCgoKdGhlIGJlc3Qgd2ViIHNpdGUgZm9ybWFycmlnZSBhbmQgZnJpbmRzaGlwIHd3 dy5hcmFiendhai5jb23H3dbhIOPm3toK48zH5O0g4eHK2sfR3SDmIOHh0ubHzAo=
Reply to
=?windows-1256?B?2tHIINLmx8w=?

IBM still has a few mainframes here and there...

Just a thought.

Reply to
Francois Labreque

And any of those bought in the last 10 years come with ethernet comms...

Neil Pike Protech Computing Ltd

Reply to
Neil Pike

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.