IRB and channel groups help needed

I've got a 8540 switch running 12.1(20)E set up with IRB and I've got two interfaces I'm looking at:

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/3 no ip address no ip redirects ! interface GigabitEthernet0/0/3.1 description Native VLAN encapsulation dot1Q 1 native no ip redirects ! interface GigabitEthernet0/0/3.99 encapsulation dot1Q 99 no ip redirects no cdp enable bridge-group 99

The other interface is Gigabit0/0/4 and is set up the exact same way. I'd like to be able to set up a channel group for those two interfaces. I set up the port channel like:

interface Port-channel1 no ip address hold-queue 300 in ! interface Port-channel1.1 encapsulation dot1Q 1 native no ip redirects ! interface Port-channel1.99 encapsulation dot1Q 99 no ip redirects bridge-group 99

But if I apply it to one of the interfaces, I get an error: "Error: Interface has sub-interface configured". I can take the subinterfaces off temporarily and set up the channel-group, but it I try and re-add the subinterfaces, I can't do that. Is this something that is possible? If so, what am I missing?

Reply to
pfisterfarm
Loading thread data ...

I would have thought that you configured the sub-interfaces on the port channel only. Not the physical interfaces.

By the way as I am sure you know there are two very distinct 8500 models, one very ATM-y and one Ethernet-y and you need to be careful which documentation you look at. CSR? Was decades ago:)

Have a look at this.

formatting link
"Configuring EtherChannel and 802.1Q Trunking Between Catalyst L2 Fixed Configuration Switches and a Router (InterVLAN Routing)"

Hope it might help.

Reply to
bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.