cisco ap 1131, vlan and dhcp service

Hello everybody, i've configured my Cisco AP 1131 (dot11radio0) using 2 different SSID linked to 2 different VLAN; but now, how can i create 2 different DHCP scope on the access point, and assign the right one to the right VLAN ? May you post an example of configuration ? Thanks in advance.

MP

Reply to
pacmas72
Loading thread data ...

On an access point ,I do not think that you can have multiple DHCP pools.

Remember that an access point is just a bridge. When you set up VLANS, in essence you are just configuring multiple bridge groups.

On an IOS-base router, multiple pools can be supported because the DHCP discovery packet arrives thru an interface that has an IP address assigned to it. IOS uses that interface IP address to decide which of multiple pools to assign from.

On an AP there can be at most one IP address assigned - to the BVI1 interface - and that is for management access

Reply to
Merv

The always perspicacious Merv wrote: ~ On an access point ,I do not think that you can have multiple DHCP ~ pools.

You actually can, but, given the following ...

~ Remember that an access point is just a bridge. When you set up VLANS, ~ in essence you are just configuring multiple bridge groups. ~ ~ On an IOS-base router, multiple pools can be supported because the ~ DHCP discovery packet arrives thru an interface that has an IP address ~ assigned to it. IOS uses that interface IP address to decide which of ~ multiple pools to assign from. ~ ~ On an AP there can be at most one IP address assigned - to the BVI1 ~ interface - and that is for management access

... with multiple VLANs configured on the AP, the only DHCP packets that will directly reach the AP from wireless clients will be those that are on SSIDs that are mapped to the native VLAN (the one that BVI1 is in.)

DHCP requests from clients that are in SSIDs bridged to other VLANs will simply sail through the AP and out the dot1q trunk interface, without the AP's DHCP server seeing them.

That said, it is possible for the non-native VLANs' default routers to use ip helper-address to forward the DHCP requests back to the AP - in this way, you *could* have an AP service multiple DHCP pools.

That said, it would probably make more sense to use your interVLAN router(s) as DHCP server(s), than to use your AP for this.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.