Cisco 1200 AP and vlan tags/trunks

I had messed around with the 1230 AP and another layer 3 routing switch (see below), and I am at a roadblock. Here is the situation:

I have configured the AP using VLANS 1 (no SSID, native), 2 (with SSID), & 3 (with SSID) as described in Cisco's documentation (link below), and I have connected FastEthernet0 to Ethernet 1 on my other device. On the secondary device I have VLAN 1 associated with the IP address on the same subnet as the BVI1 on the AP. So it looks like this:

[ BVI1 - VLAN1 - 10.10.1.254/24 ] (untagged) - - - - - - - - - [ ETH1 - VLAN1 - 10.10.1.1/24 ] (untagged)

At this point I have IP connectivity between the two devices, but the hosts on VLANS 2 and 3 which correspond to SSIDs on the wireless side have no communication to the VLANS on the secondary device, primary because of the untagged/untrunked ports. So in effect the AP and the router can talk, but the wireless nodes can't.

The other side of the coin is that if I enable tagging I can pass the traffic of the wireless nodes appropriately, but there is no IP connectivity to the BVI1 interface on the AP. In effect the exact opposite of the first scenario. Have you anyone ran into this, and if so how was it solved?

[Other L3 Routing Switch]: Alcatel OmniCore 5010 a.k.a Packet Engines PowerRail 1000 [Cisco Docs]:
formatting link

Any assistance is greatly appreciated, Ethan

Reply to
bambock
Loading thread data ...

If you need VLAN to traverse between bridges, you need trunk ports carring the vlans between the brigdes. I am pretty sure you problem lays within the strange switch you are using. Have you tried a Cisco Switch ?

formatting link

Reply to
Martin Bilgrav

~ I had messed around with the 1230 AP and another layer 3 routing switch ~ (see below), and I am at a roadblock. Here is the situation: ~ ~ I have configured the AP using VLANS 1 (no SSID, native), 2 (with ~ SSID), & 3 (with SSID) as described in Cisco's documentation (link ~ below), and I have connected FastEthernet0 to Ethernet 1 on my other ~ device. On the secondary device I have VLAN 1 associated with the IP ~ address on the same subnet as the BVI1 on the AP. So it looks like ~ this: ~ ~ [ BVI1 - VLAN1 - 10.10.1.254/24 ] (untagged) - - - - - - - - - [ ~ ETH1 - VLAN1 - 10.10.1.1/24 ] (untagged) ~ ~ At this point I have IP connectivity between the two devices, but the ~ hosts on VLANS 2 and 3 which correspond to SSIDs on the wireless side ~ have no communication to the VLANS on the secondary device, primary ~ because of the untagged/untrunked ports. So in effect the AP and the ~ router can talk, but the wireless nodes can't.

Right, that would be expected behavior. To pass VLANs thru the LAN link, you need to be using 802.1q trunking (tagging).

~ The other side of the coin is that if I enable tagging I can pass the ~ traffic of the wireless nodes appropriately, but there is no IP ~ connectivity to the BVI1 interface on the AP. In effect the exact ~ opposite of the first scenario. Have you anyone ran into this, and if ~ so how was it solved?

This SHOULD work. I.e. if you have one device with an IP address in 10.10.1/24 in native VLAN 1 on one end of an 802.1q capable link and another device with another IP address in 10.10.1/24 in native VLAN 1 on the other end of the 802.1q capable link, then they should have layer 3 connectivity.

If they don't then there's something wrong with the one device or with the other device or with the link. Hint: there ain't nothing wrong with the AP1230 :-)

Is it possible that someone is using *tagged* VLAN 1 rather than

*native* VLAN 1?

Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.