cisco switch 2950, vlan and dhcp scope

Hello everybody, can i configure DHCP service on my 2950 cisco switch and assign different scope (with different subnet) according to the VLAN configured on the same device ? I mean...i don't want to relay to any other DHCP service but i'd prefer to use that one provided by the 2950; at the same time, i would be able to give different scope to different VLAN hosts directly connected to the fastethernet interfaces of the same switch assigned to different VLAn previously defined.

Everything with a unique switch.

Pls, provide me some configuration examples.

Thanks in advance.

MP

Reply to
pacmas72
Loading thread data ...

hi, MP

first of all, 2950 is layer2 device therefore, it cannot provide ip to hosts connected. you use router (layer 3 device) for that.

second, you could have one fastethernet interface to make sub interfaces for each of your vlan and I think, u should be able to provide dhcp through that. i 've never tried thatway. something to explore, I guess.

hope that helped.

thomas

Reply to
Thomas75

MP:

I own a 2950-24T and I can tell you it doesn't include DHCP Server functionality.

I have in my hand, a copy of the Catalyst 2950 and Catalyst 2955 Switch Software Configuration Guide.

It says: "The DHCP Server feature is only available on Catalyst 2955 switches."

I have interVLAN routing to a C1710 (FastEthernet port), with a DHCP scope setup for each VLAN.

Note, that interVLAN routing is only available on FastEthernet interfaces.

Best regards,

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
News Reader

Hi.

thanks for the info.

BTW how would you configure 2955 to act as DHCP server?

-Thomas

Reply to
Thomas75

The Catalyst 2950 and Catalyst 2955 Switch Software Configuration Guide suggests the following:

For procedures to configure the switch as a DHCP server, see the ?Configuring DHCP? section of the ?IP addressing and Services? section of the Cisco IOS IP and IP Routing Configuration Guide, Release 12.1

These documents are easily downloadable from the Cisco web site.

A modest amount of reading will result in answers to your question.

Best regards, News Reader

Reply to
News Reader

Well, I did look into Cisco website but couldn' find the link. that's why I asked people here!

I checked the 2955 manual but it only mention about that feature but there isn't any related commands...

Can anyone help~? thanks

-Thomas

Reply to
Thomas75

Really?

I just went to the Cisco web site, did "one" search for "Cisco IOS IP and IP Routing Configuration Guide, Release 12.1", followed the "first" result link, and the document was there.

formatting link
Expand "Part 1: IP Addressing and Services", and you will see "Configuring DHCP".

Best regards, News Reader

Reply to
News Reader

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.