Cisco 1200 Access Point and Vlan Issue

Hello Group,

I am trying to finish configuring a Cisco 2950 switch, 1200 Access Point and a Cisco 871 router. My question involves Vlans. On the switch port and AP I have configured a VLAN4 that is only assigned on the Trunk Port. The AP is configured as native Vlan4 as well as the trunk switch port. The switch is also connected via trunk to a 871 Router on FAstEth0 using native Vlan4. The question I have involves the IP Addressing of VLAN 4. On the Router I have a seperate subnet for Vlan4 for say 172.16.99.0/24. I have also configures the BVI1 interface of the Access Point in the same subnet 172.16.99.12. Wireless Clients authenticate to he access point but do not pull down an IP address and if one is manually assigned cannot ping anything. Is this config correct? When I assign the Vlan4 interface on the router with the subnet 192.168.10.0/24 and the Access point BVI1 interface as 192.168.10.12/24 everything seems to work. The problem with that is that the Fastethernet0 interface on the router is assigned

192.168.10.1/24 where all the PCs and Servers are located. I am trying to configure guest access for a wireless infrastruvture. So on the devices I have Vlan1 disabled, Vlan2 for Corporate users (192.168.10.0), VLAN3(172.16.29.0/24) for guest wireless access and VLAN4(172.16.99.0/24) for the trunking port Vlan.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Reply to
jsallmann
Loading thread data ...

~ Hello Group, ~ ~ I am trying to finish configuring a Cisco 2950 switch, 1200 Access ~ Point and a Cisco 871 router. My question involves Vlans. On the ~ switch port and AP I have configured a VLAN4 that is only assigned on ~ the Trunk Port. The AP is configured as native Vlan4 as well as the ~ trunk switch port. The switch is also connected via trunk to a 871 ~ Router on FAstEth0 using native Vlan4.

Quick question: you don't have your switch configured to tag the native VLAN do you? If so, this won't work. The AP's BVI needs to be on an untagged native VLAN.

~ The question I have involves ~ the IP Addressing of VLAN 4. On the Router I have a seperate subnet ~ for Vlan4 for say 172.16.99.0/24. I have also configures the BVI1 ~ interface of the Access Point in the same subnet 172.16.99.12. ~ Wireless Clients authenticate to he access point but do not pull down ~ an IP address

Where do they get this IP address from - DHCP? Where is the DHCP server configured - on the AP?

~ and if one is manually assigned cannot ping anything.

Not even the AP's BVI1?

What wireless authentication/crypto are you using? With open authentication + WEP, a popular failure mode is that clients will associate but then be unable to pass traffic (due to a WEP key mismatch.)

~ Is ~ this config correct? When I assign the Vlan4 interface on the router ~ with the subnet 192.168.10.0/24 and the Access point BVI1 interface ~ as 192.168.10.12/24 everything seems to work.

If you change 172.16.99/24 everywhere with 192.168.10/24, then there is (probably) no reason to see different behavior.

~ The problem with that is ~ that the Fastethernet0 interface on the router is assigned ~ 192.168.10.1/24

Now you've lost me. I thought you said that the router's FastE was configured as a trunk? If so, then you shouldn't be configuring stuff on FastEthernet0, you should be configuring stuff on its VLAN interfaces.

At some point, if you can't figure this out, you will want to draw some ASCII or other art showing all your VLANs and subnets and links and notes of interest, listing all your subnets and addresses of interest, and including all your configs.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.