Cisco 871 whine / rant / moan etc (long)

I purchased a Cisco 871 wireless SOHO router 2 months ago. In short, you need to be a CCIE to configure or troubleshoot it. First line support has no clue. No books, references exist. Ad's say it does VPN PassThru, Mac Filtering etc. Try finding out how to do it!!!!!!!!!! Good luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why they put that useless "manual" in the box puzzles me. Maybe so they can show how many languages it can be useless in. I had to get on with Cisco to get the thing to accept DNS server IP info from the DSL provider. At first he said Cisco 871 didn't do that, I explained that Linksys, Dlink, USR etc all did it. He was adamant that it didn't and told me I should have researched the product (short version). He called me back 2 days later saying he found out how to accept the DNS server ip's. The SDM is only useful to do the Firewall. At least that worked, but when I was trying to modify the access list so I could troubleshoot a website hang issue (which turned out to be an MTU issue)- I totally hosed the FW and had to go back to the SDM which created all new acl's. I bought Cisco wireless handbook and fundamentals books, both had screenshots from the Aironet GUI - very little CLI in the fundamentals (2 inch thick) and almost nothing in handbook for CLI. Finally got wireless up and running thanks to a forum and things I pieced together. I found out that the Cisco guy blew away the BVI interface and put everything on VLAN1. I do systems admin for a living. I have found much, much more info from Microsoft, Redhat and Mandiva than I have from Cisco, I have CCO access and Smartnet. There are several CCIE's and MANY CCNP's where I work and they just rolled their eyes when I told them it was an ISR. I have 2 Cisco switches, 2 Cisco router (not including the 871); the 871 makes the

2524,2503,2950,1924 look like a piece of cake. In my spare time; hehehe , I am trying to do a CCNA. So I am not completely illiterate. I'm trying to learn and understand, but when there is NO information available or that information has completely different terminology than the subject you are researching - the cause is almost hopeless. I don't want to keep running to the CCIE's and CCNP's at work.

I am having problems that I CANNOT figure out. I'd actually have to know what is going on to turn the correct DEBUG on. I have finally given up and will buy a Linksys WG54GL just to get my wife's VPN client to stop timing out. I can connect to a Linksys I borrowed and it works really well. Put my NW back on the 871 and the problems come back.

I don't doubt that the 871 is a powerful and quality product, it is the support and resource issue that I am struggling with. I paid $600.00 + the Smartnet for a router that has more flakes than a box of cereal. This is not for SOHO - because as a small business you can't really afford $200+ an hour for someone else to set this up.

I WILL eventually figure the 871 out - maybe not before the next visit by Halley's Comet, but I figure by the time I get done mastering this "device" I could go for a CCIE (sarcastic joke). I now have MUCH more respect for what a CCIE has to go through to get the cert).

For those who read all the way through this whine / rant - thanks !!! Any pointers to books, web sites courses will be GREATLY appreciated.

Reply to
fm
Loading thread data ...

Hi Frank,

Did you find Configuring a Wireless LAN Connection from the Cisco 850 Series and Cisco 870 Series Access Routers Software Configuration Guide helpful?

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Network Engineer Directory

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant Website:
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Nice way to put - "Did you look at the doc?" - thanks. Yes - Didn't really help - It tells you the config - but not how / why it goes together. And I'm not doing sub-interfaces. I was trying to get one thing at a time working so I would know what I broke and be able to back it out. Part of my original problem was because the Cisco guy dropped the BVI (I make sure I do before and after sh run and save as a file), I found out from a TAC case that the [BVI X] implicitly links to the [bridge-group X], took 3 days, then I had to once I got the pieces back I still had to to do a [no vlan 1] on the bridge-group 1, don't ask me why - it just worked, that took a forum and 4 days. Lots of other hunt and peck discoveries. But I finally got the dsl pppoe, wireless and fw working - sort of. Not running WPA (2 devices can't do WPA). No rotating encryption etc.

I'm getting wireless drops, web page hangs, vpn heartbeat timeouts. Below are the comparable sections from my [sh run].

bridge irb ! interface FastEthernet4 description $ES_WAN$$FW_OUTSIDE$$ETH-WAN$ no ip address no ip redirects no ip unreachables no ip proxy-arp ip route-cache flow duplex auto speed auto pppoe enable pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1 no cdp enable ! interface Dot11Radio0 no ip address ! encryption key 1 size 128bit 7 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx transmit-key encryption mode wep mandatory ! ssid XXXX authentication open eap eap-methods ! speed basic-1.0 basic-2.0 basic-5.5 6.0 9.0 basic-11.0 12.0 18.0 24.0

36.0 48.0 54.0 station-role root no cdp enable bridge-group 1 bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled ! interface Vlan1 description $ETH-SW-LAUNCH$$INTF-INFO-HWIC 4ESW$$FW_INSIDE$ no ip address bridge-group 1 ! interface Dialer1 description $FW_OUTSIDE$ mtu 1452 ip address negotiated ip access-group 104 in ip inspect DEFAULT100 out ip nat outside ip virtual-reassembly encapsulation ppp dialer pool 1 no cdp enable ppp authentication pap callin ppp pap sent-username snipped-for-privacy@dslprovider.net password 7 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX ppp ipcp dns request accept ! interface BVI1 ip address 192.168.0.109 255.255.255.0 ip access-group 102 in ip nat inside ip virtual-reassembly !

formatting link
wrote:

formatting link

Reply to
fm

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.