Cisco 871 vs 1712?

I'm looking at purchasing a router for a SOHO office and basically just need dual Ethernet ports. The new Cisco 871 router works well, as does a slightly older 1711 or 1712. WAN modules or wireless are not necessary.

Are their any functional differences in the IOS capabilities for either of these models? Are either "dumbed down" from what I can expect out of a 2600XM or better model?

I can't seem to find processor speed specs on the new 870 series. Does anyone know which would be faster? More pps?

-Bob

Reply to
Rob
Loading thread data ...

"Rob" wrote

Hi,

I have the 877 for home use, here is a sample sh ver: Cisco 877W (MPC8272) processor (revision 0x100) with 118784K/12288K bytes of memory. Processor board ID FHK092820TF MPC8272 CPU Rev: Part Number 0xC, Mask Number 0x10

4 FastEthernet interfaces 1 ATM interface 1 802.11 Radio 128K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 36864K bytes of processor board System flash (Intel Strataflash)

I upgraded my flash from the default 24MB to 36MB.

I am still practicing for my CCNA exam so my details may be a wrong somewhat but here are some answers:

The differences between IOS on a 2600 model VS a 870 series will be on the additional cards and functionality of them. Otherwise the basics are all the same on both routers. Lastly, the 870 series has an integrated 4 switch port that acts as the default Vlan 1 for configuration of the one Fast Ethernet and the other would be your WAN interface pending on what model you have that is, on mine it is an ATM as I connect up to ADSL.

If you have any more questions please let me know.

J
Reply to
jamie

The processor speed for the 870 series is 266 MHz.

Comparing the 870 series to the 1712 in Cisco's routerperformance.pdf Fast/CEF Switching:

870 series = 25,000 pps / 12.80 Mbps 1712 = 13,500 pps / 6.91 Mbps

Process switching is only listed for the 1712, not the 870 series.

I hope this helps.

Reply to
gray.wizard

Upgrading your IOS image to Advanced IP Services will allow you to have more than one VLAN.

Reply to
gray.wizard

Yes, thank you.

In the past, the 800 series hasn't been as good as the 1700 series, but I guess that changes in this generation. I would assume the 1800 is even better.

-bob

Reply to
Rob

It's inevitable that in generations that eventually entry-level equipment is going to surpass some the equipment of some generation in the past that was considered mid-level or top-of-the-line.

1800 series: 1801-1812 - 70,000 pps / 35.84 Mbps 1841 - 75,000 pps / 38.40 Mbps

No router in the 1700 series, even the ones you didn't mention, can compete with the 870 series, btw. Looks like Cisco finally got tired of the SOHO segment of the market criticizing them because the offerings from the consumer level routers (DLink, Linksys, etc.) were much faster than the 800 series in general.

Stay away from the 850 series, though. It offers less than half the performance numbers of the 870 series.

I nearly bought one of the bigger routers, but my router shelf is about ear level a couple feet away from my desk & I didn't want to have to listen to a fan whirring away in the background. The ones in my PC are more than enough as it is.

Reply to
gray.wizard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.