Cisco 871 or ASA 5505

I have two branch offices, each has only 2 users and 2 printers, which are going to connect to their main office thru the VPN tunnels so that each branch office can access the main office and the main office can also access the branch resources ( printers ) .

I plan to use either the Cisco 871 or ASA 5505 at the branch offices for this requirement. Is there any reason to select this device over the other ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

DT

Reply to
dt1649651
Loading thread data ...

throughput performance is one ... all security is done in software on the router (c871) and done much better in a "real" firewall, like the ASA5505 Whats you WAN linkspeeds ? VPN performance is alsoo allot better in the ASA5505.

dunno about prices. 10 user lic for asa5505 is not much, around 1500 USD i think

Reply to
Martin Bilgrav

~ > I plan to use either the Cisco 871 or ASA 5505 at the branch offices ~ > for this requirement. Is there any reason to select this device over ~ > the other ? ~ >

~ ~ throughput performance is one ... ~ all security is done in software on the router (c871) and done much better ~ in a "real" firewall, like the ASA5505 ~ Whats you WAN linkspeeds ? ~ VPN performance is alsoo allot better in the ASA5505. ~ ~ dunno about prices. 10 user lic for asa5505 is not much, around 1500 USD i ~ think

The 87x also does crypto in hardware. Its IPSEC throughput is adequate to most small branch offices. (Which is not to deny that the ASA5505's throughput is better.)

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

I'd do the ASA. I like the MPF for all that extra control. Keeps you from needing extra boxes at the branch for some more advanced filtering. Granted you may never use the capability but it is there!

BC

Reply to
brandon.j.carroll

Martin, thanks for your advice. I didn't know that the VPN performance on the ASA5505 is better the 871. I checked the price, both of them are about US$500 or less ( for the

10-user ASA5505 ). The 871 is a little bit more expensive.

DT

Reply to
dt1649651

I have one 871 at home configured to have site-to-site to my office and it works just fine. I think this is a good chance for me to try the 5505 :)

Thanks, DT

Reply to
dt1649651

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.