Cisco 831 Router - Newbie Question - Logging

First, I am no network engineer. However, I have managed our motel's netwok for some time using a Linksys router and 14 Linksys wireless access points. The Linksys systems come with software called "Logviewer" which allows the logs to be displayed and saved to our server. Since this is an open wireless network, security isn't a big issue, however logging IS. We are considering upgrading to Cisco hardware (router and access points). The Cisco 831 router has been recommended. Does is provide the same ability to send the log information to our server? Will I have to purchase additional logging software? Do the logs provide all the information necessary to identify the network user, such as time, IP address, web address, and preferably MAC address? Our sales person doesn't know.

Please post replies here or email to me at johnross - at - alltel.net. correct the obvious.

Thanks for any information.

Johnboy

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Beta 3 Web @

formatting link
----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@newhouse.com wrote: The Cisco 831 router has been recommended. Does is provide the same ability to send the log information to our

provide all the information necessary to identify the network

sales person doesn't know.

Sure can... Look into syslog, and software called Kiwi syslog for Windows or syslogd for *nix systems.

Reply to
Chad Mahoney

Thanks Chad, for the quick reply. Kiwi looks like my solution.

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Beta 3 Web @

formatting link
----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.