Cisco 851 Newbie Help Please!

We just bought a Cisco 851 Router for the office to replace a failing D- Link GamerLounge.

I got all of the configuration done (I thought!) through the web interface, but it will not route connections to the WAN. I verfied that the DNS server and T1 line are working fine by direct connection.

The following things are plugged into our 851:

- WAN Port: T1 line with static IP

- Crossover cable connecting to our main switch

- Our server

- Our backup system

The network part works fine. I can ping everybody, and I can VNC to our server. The Internet, however, doesn't work.

I think it has to do with the fact that the 851 doesn't know how to contact our ISP's router. There doesn't appear to be any place to input a value for "default gateway." I tried putting the IP we have for the gateway into the "last hop" section, but I didn't know if it should be done by interface or by IP.

Any suggestions? I'm not really an IT guy, but I know the most about IT at the company, so...

Thanks!

Steven Smith

Reply to
Steven Smith
Loading thread data ...

Hi Steve,

We really need a lot more info here, such a full configuration dump of the Router, however a first VERY rough guess is that you need to specify a DEFAULT GATEWAY. If you can see the full Router configuration, then look for a line that looks like -

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

where specifies your ISP's Router IP address.

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 specifies the DEFAULT Gateway.

99% of the time by IP address. There are some situations where an interface can be used but they are fairly specific.

Cheers..................................pk.

Reply to
Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the advice so far.

I think that the problem IS that the default gateway isn't defined; I just can't seem to figure out where I need to define it! Is there a console command I should use, or is there a way to do it through the GUI?

When I went to the tab where you define the connection type (static/dhcp), I was able to input our IP and netmask, but I didn't see the usual "default gateway" option. I wondered how it could possibly work without one, but figured if it were needed, it would be there...

Our external IP is 64.80.9.45, and the ISP's default gateway is

64.80.9.1. Could I telnet into the router and just type:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 64.80.9.1

Would that work? Or does the 64.80.9.1 need to be .45?

I knew I should have taken those CCNA classes....

"Peter" wrote in news:nnw7edSM2ZOu-pn2-dsRIrKRklN8N@otis:

Reply to
Steven Smith

Hi Steven,

I dont use the Cisco GUI at all so I cant say.....;-) However if you can get into the console ENABLE mode you should end up at a # prompt. From there you can type show run to display the full running configuration (careful about posting that raw here, it may contain sensitive password info etc... ).

Look for lines such as - # ip route x.x.x.x y.y.y.y d.d.d.d If x & y = 0.0.0.0 then thats the default gateway.

If there is no such line there, then type = # config terminal

-confg# ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 64.80.9.1

-confg# exit

-confg# copy run start

This adds the defautl gateway , the exits configure mode and saves the changes to the startup configuration file.

No it should NOT be YOUR IP address. What MASK value is being used on that interface, that may be a clue.

Good luck....................pk.

Reply to
Peter

Peter-

It works! Thanks!

-Steven

"Peter" wrote in news:nnw7edSM2ZOu-pn2-fzywxxn6I7Ff@otis:

Reply to
Steven Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.