4506 logging question

hi @ll I have a question regarding logging on a 4506 with sup IV and IOS

12.1(13)EW (i know - an old one...). I need to see the link transitions from this box on my syslog host. I have the following config:

service timestamps log datetime logging buffered 8192 notifications no logging console logging trap debugging logging facility local6 logging 10.49.230.65

Afaik the last three lines should produce a lot of output on the loghost. Actually the only thing I see on the log host is %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by ...

I did a lot of trying but I cannot get it working. Thanks for any hint :-) Steffen

Reply to
Pablo
Loading thread data ...

Your configuration will produce these results under the "show logging" command:

Syslog logging: enabled (0 messages dropped, 0 messages rate-limited, 0 flushes, 0 overruns, xml disabled) Console logging: disabled Monitor logging: level debugging, 0 messages logged, xml disabled Buffer logging: level notifications, 0 messages logged, xml disabled Logging Exception size (4096 bytes) Count and timestamp logging messages: disabled Trap logging: level debugging, 0 message lines logged Logging to 10.49.230.65, 0 message lines logged, xml disabled

The key item from this output is the number of lines logged under the "Trap logging" and the "Logging to 10.49.230.65" section. Make sure that after you debug, configure and exit, or any other log activity that the increase in the number of lines logged matches the number of new syslog log file lines added on the syslog server during that time frame.

Syslog is UDP and the Cisco device is ignorant as to whether or not the syslog traffic made it to the destination. It may not be the indication of what is wrong here (as you said some logging entries made it to the server), but keep it in mind when troubleshooting. I have had a router report 109 lines logged to 10.1.1.1 when in fact 10.1.1.1 was not even a device on the network.

Reply to
Scott Perry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.