Cisco 3600 Series Newbie Question

Hi

My desktop machine and our web server both sit behind a Cisco 3600 series router.

The problem that I am experiencing is this...

If I attempt to access our web server remotely (i.e. from outside of the building) using the external IP address, then pages are served correctly.

If I attempt to access our web server locally (i.e. from my desk within the building) using the internal IP address (e.g.

192.168.102.10), then pages are served correctly.

However ... If I attempt to access our web server locally (i.e. from my desk), but use the external IP address, then pages are not served. This becomes a real and vital issue because the web server hosts a multiple number of sites that we need to access locally by domain name.

A workaround is to update the hosts file on each local machine that needs to see the web server, but this is less than ideal.

A colleague has told me that this is a routing issue that could be resolved by one line added to the routing table. Is this correct? If so, what would that line look like?

Redstone, who manage the service, have assured me (though by a fairly junior technician who had to go away and ask) that this sort of thing simply wasn't possible. I find that incredibly hard to believe!!

Hoping someone can help.

Regards

James

Reply to
Webmills
Loading thread data ...

See:

formatting link

Reply to
Trendkill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.