Cisco 831 Configuration Question

Hello,

I am trying to configure a Cisco Router 831 so that each port on the 4 port switch cannot see the other three ports, but rather, can only go out to the Internet. Is this possible with this Cisco model? I was hoping that I could create an access-list for each port on the 4 port switch, but it appears that access lists cannot be applied to the FastEthernet ports on the 4 port switch built into the router. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Tim

Reply to
trichter_cdg
Loading thread data ...

In article , trichter_cdg wrote: :I am trying to configure a Cisco Router 831 so that each port on the 4 :port switch cannot see the other three ports, but rather, can only go :out to the Internet. Is this possible with this Cisco model?

My recollection, possibly faulty, is that the best you can do is use one of the ports as a DMZ, and that requires fairly recent software.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

The 83x has a simple, passive switch. The only options are setting/locking speed and/or duplex. No fancy filtering possible by port.

Reply to
Phillip Remaker

Well that is not good news. This router is being used in a 4 unit apartment. I wanted to separate the 4 apartments from seeing each other. Any recommendations on how to adapt my setup to keep the apartments from seeing each other? Seems likle I might have to buy additional hardware. I could get four cheap D-Link routers and put those between the Cisco router and the 4 individual units.

Thanks for any advice you may have,

Tim

Reply to
trichter_cdg

In article , Phillip Remaker wrote: :The 83x has a simple, passive switch. The only options are setting/locking :speed and/or duplex. No fancy filtering possible by port.

Hey, one of the rare occasions when I knew something that Phillip didn't ;-)

formatting link
Table 2 Feature Set Table for the Cisco 831 Router

Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) Port 12.3(7)XR1 IP FW/3DES IP PLUS FW/3DES

formatting link
One of the switch ports could be convertsed [sic] in to a DMZ port to place publicly accessible servers or to segregate users on the LAN

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Get another switch that supports vlan tagging, and make 4 vlans. Link between the switch to the 831 using vlan trunking.

Reply to
vtan

In article , vtan wrote: :Get another switch that supports vlan tagging, and make 4 vlans. :Link between the switch to the 831 using vlan trunking.

Nice idea, but the 800 series doesn't support vlan trunking.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.