837/831 dual-zone network

Quick question before I spend a load of dosh on a project that won't work... Can I connect the ethernet WAN port of an 831 to one of the ethernet switch ports on a 837?

I want to create a 2 zone network:

ADSL |

837 router ---> 1231 wireless access point [public/guest access] ---> printer | 831 router ---> 2nd access point [secure / authorised access] ---> network attached storage

Any other ideas / solutions would be appreciated - preferably ones that would cost a few quid from eBay (!)

Chris

Reply to
wowbanger2000
Loading thread data ...

~ Quick question before I spend a load of dosh on a project that won't ~ work... Can I connect the ethernet WAN port of an 831 to one of the ~ ethernet switch ports on a 837? ~ ~ I want to create a 2 zone network: ~ ~ ADSL ~ | ~ 837 router ---> 1231 wireless access point [public/guest access] ~ ---> printer ~ | ~ 831 router ---> 2nd access point [secure / authorised access] ~ ---> network attached storage ~ ~ Any other ideas / solutions would be appreciated - preferably ones ~ that would cost a few quid from eBay (!) ~ ~ Chris

Looks like this is what you want:

Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) Port

formatting link
i.e. switch port 4 on the 837 becomes layer 3 interface Ethernet2 which could be connected to you public/guest AP.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Just to amplify Aaron's response slightly. As I understand the requirement you can accomplish it with only the 837. The feature Aaron mentioned *may* be dependent on having the correct software feature set. I forget. The 837 supports the creation of three networks each with their own IP address range.

- The ADSL - usually via a Dialer - The switchports (Ethernet 0) - Port 4 (Ethernet 2)

Reply to
bod43

Thanks for the replies all.

It looks like DMZ support is only from IOS 12.3(7) - unfortunately I have 12.3(2). En-Conf t-Int Ethernet 2 just gives me an error message :-(

I would need an additional switch anyway, as I need to connect a wireless access point and a printer to the public zone.

So, many thanks for the potentially money saving tip, but back to the original question I'm afraid. Can I chain 837-831 together?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Reply to
wowbanger2000

Thanks for the fast replies guys,

Unfortunately, my 837 has IOS 12.3(2) - it looks like DMZ was not implemented until 12.3(7).

So, possible solutions are:

(1) === Get a newer 837, connect the NAS and private access point to it Connect a switch to the DMZ port, connect the printer & access public point to that

(2) === Use existing 837, connect the printer & public access point to it Get an 831 (?), connect the WAN port to a port on the 837 switch, connect the NAS and private access point to it

Whichever solution, I could do with some pointers for setting up. I need to be able to access printer & internet from the public access point, and printer, internet and NAS from the private access point. I usually use SDM to administer the router, but I guess some more complicated work may need to be done.

The benefit of your experience would be greatly appreciated!!

Chris

Reply to
wowbanger2000

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.