Upgrading Cisco 3750 switch stack with bin file

Hi,

does anyone has any idea to go about upgrading the ios for a 3750 switch stack using binary file? Cisco website has only instructions for using tar file to upgrade. I have tried the conventional way of copy the new bin file into both flash1 and flash2 and changing the boot config to boot with the new image. But when I rebooted the stack, only the master switch is upgraded and the 2nd was not able to join the stack as the master detected a version-mismatch. Reason for using bin file instead of tar file is because I do not need the CMS in our environment.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Reply to
sunnymonk74
Loading thread data ...

I haven't upgraded using just the bin file - but it should work the same... You only have to copy the software to switchA (Master). It is responsible for automatically upgrading the other switches in that stack.

I think somewhere down the line when trying to manually copy the software to both switches - something got confused...

fyi - You can use the .tar file and disable the web interface portion by using 'no ip http-server' in your configuration

----------------------------- Scott

formatting link
Home of the Network Engineering Podcast

Reply to
spilkinton

Thanks Scott!

Yes, I was expecting the Master Switch to auto upgrade the 2nd switch after the reboot but it didn't. The tar file includes the CMS which I feel it is a waste of Flash space if I not going to use it. And also if I use a tar file, I can't possibly keep both old and new versions since the flash size is only 16MB. I believe there should be a way to upgrade it using the binary file since it is available in the CCO for download.

Anyway, thanks again for your help!

Reply to
sunnymonk74

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.