Cisco 3560 Username

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me. When I try to access my company's Cisco 3560 switch, via the web or telnet, I am asked for a username. Unfortunately I do not know the username. I have tried the defaults like Admin (in different cases) and Cisco, but these don't work. I know the password, because when I hyperterminal into the switch I am only asked for a password and this works fine.

Can someone tell me how I can find out this username, or tell me if it is possible to create an account that I can log in with.

I really want to use the Cisco Network Assistant, but until I find this username I cannot use it.

Many thanks in advance.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff
Loading thread data ...

Presuming you aren't using TACACs, or you have a local account that is primary over TACACs, login via console and show the config. Look for how authentication is being done on the telnet (line vty 0 4), and check your authentication config to determine if its local of tacacs. If its local, the username should be sitting in the config, and the password will show up there but could be hashed. Worse case, if you can get to config mode, you can disable username on telnet, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Reply to
Trendkill

Thanks for your quick response.

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty new to Cisco. Looking to start the CCNA course when I finish my 2003 MCSE upgrade. What commands should I be entering into the hyperterminal console? I know how to view all the commands, I'm just not too sure what ones I should be using. I really don't want to do something that is going to take the switch down either, as all of our servers are hooked up to this switch.

Thanks,

Jeff

Reply to
jeff

Do a 'show config' and paste the results here. Please 'X' out all real IP addresses, or anything that looks proprietary or confidential. Then I'll point out what you need to be looking for and why. If you don't feel comfortable, you can email me privately. You can lookup my email address by clicking on my name above.

Reply to
Trendkill

No knowing the config, I would try this:

Where it asks for a username/password via HTTP, leave the username field blank and enter the password you enter via TELNET...

Reply to
Chad Mahoney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.