Cisco 2948G-L3 Configuration Question

We use a Cisco 2948G-L3 as our backbone. I purchased another one as a spare. I wanted to try loading the configuration file via tftp server on the spare. The configuration file loaded just fine but I found that non of the 48 10/100 ports were up. I had to go to any port I wanted to use and do a no shut.

Is this normal? If so, is there a way to no shut all the ports at the same time?

Thanks

Reply to
tman
Loading thread data ...

If the ios will support the range command, the answer is yes. Not sure on the 2948s, all comes down to how modern the code is.

int range fastethernet (or gigabitethernet) 0/1 - 48 no shut

Reply to
Trendkill

Shouldn't the configuration that I uploaded from the tftp server do a no shut on all the ports? It was a running-configuration from the other 2948G-L3.

Thanks

Reply to
tman

"No shut" doesn't show in the running or startup config text, and you probably had a default config of shutdown. Not sure how to change that on an IOS switch, but I'm sure there is a way. Else range works great.

Reply to
Trendkill

There is no range command in this version of IOS.

Reply to
tman

I guess the real question is if the configuration on our production

2948G-L3 boots and all the ports are not in a shutdown state, why, when I download the same configuration to my spare 2948G all the interfaces in a shutdown state?

Thanks

Reply to
tman

Greetings,

It all depends on the last saved status of the H/W.

After loading the required config, unshut all required ports then SAVE the config on the same platform again and all subseqent power up's will use the last SAVED status of the ports

Cheers.................pk.

Reply to
Peter

Thanks PK. I stumbled on that awful truth yesterday. Looks like there is no getting around it.

Tman

Reply to
tman

There is a really neat way of running a "no shut" on all the ports. You create a text file like the following:

int fasteth1 no shut exit int fasteth2 no shut exit int fasteth3 no shut exit int fasteth4 no shut exit int fasteth5 no shut exit int fasteth6 no shut exit int fasteth7 no shut exit int fasteth8 no shut exit | | | | int fasteth46 no shut exit int fasteth47 no shut exit int fasteth48 no shut exit int gigabiteth49 no shut exit int gigabiteth50 no shut end

Now you copy it from a TFTP server to the runnng-configuration.

Reply to
tman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.